Lenco Trim Tab install question......

smann

Seaman Apprentice
I installed my new Lenco Trim Tabs yesterday and had a question. The leading edge is supposed to be 5/8 inch above the level along the hull. Well, with the lowest placement of the top mount, mine was at 1 inch. Will that have a major effect on the performance? I'm thinking that the tabs may not go quite as far down from that position as compared with the 5/8 inch position, but should still be ok. I don't see how it could have any impact on the mechanical performance. Thoughts??

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Re: Lenco Trim Tab install question......

smann,

On the standard Lenco units the instructions call for 3/8" above the bottom at the leading edge and 5/8" at the trailing edge for a 9" fore to aft Trim Tab.

lenstal.jpg

Can you confirm you have the standard kit and it is the leading edge that is 1" above the bottom? Also what is the measurement above the hull bottom at the trailing edge?

smann

Seaman Apprentice

It is the standard kit and yes the trailing edge is mounted 3/8 from the bottom of the hull. On my Pathfinder there is a ridge that prevents mounting at the 5/8 inch mark, so I mounted the actuator at the lowest point where all screws would be securly attached. That made my leading edge be an inch instead of 5/8. Hindsite being 20/20 I probably need their edge mount, but I have already mounted these so I am stuck with it.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

smann,

If I read this correctly the Trim Tabs are lower at the trailing edge (back) than at the leading edge (transom). If so this is not good since it will tend to hold your bow down even when the Trim Tabs are fully retracted. The idea is to have the back of the Tab higher than the transom side so the Tabs will clear the water flow when fully up.

Having the back of the Trim Tabs lower than the front will scrub off speed at the high end and can cause problems when running in a following sea, such as running an inlet where you want bow up for best control.

Let me know if this is the case.

smann

Seaman Apprentice

This not the case. the edge where the actator connects to the tab itself is a little above level. The install instruction say mount it at 5/8 and mine are at 8/8. So there is a 3/8 difference from what the install manual said.the only thing that may be a negative is that I may lose a little down pressure. Fully retracted the tabs are slightly above level.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

OK.

That's much better! I got confused when you called the where the measurement was 1" the "Leading Edge". The leading edge is the part of the Trim Tab that attaches to the transom i.e. the measurement that is called out to be 3/8.

Tom