Speed for 19Ft JC Neptoon Triple Toon

apensa

Cadet
We have a 19Ft JC Neptoon Triple Toon pontoon boat. I have a Honda 115HP outboard and am getting about 20 to 24 MPH at WOT of 4400 RPM, sometimes a little more when I've scraped the pontoons. It does get out of the hole and planes but it seems I should be getting a lot more out of this boat but it just does not seem to happen. I don't care about a quick out of the hole but I would like better speed. I usually run a full tank of gasoline and about four people. I know there are a lot of variables in the information I have given. I have a Quicksilver 2034P15 prop. I am thinking of getting a new prop to try and get better performance but its expensive to try and experament with props. You don't find too many places that will let you take one and return it.

Would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Speed for 19Ft JC Neptoon Triple Toon

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Your motor should be turning a lot faster than that at WOT. It's either over-propped or not running right.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You may also want to check your 'toons for water, they will leak and carrying a bunch of water weight around will slow you down too.

Do you keep this boat on the water all season or do you trailer it after every use?

jestor68

Commander

The Honda 115's rpm range is 4500-6000 rpm; with HP rated at 5250 rpm.

So you're not even developing full power at 4500 rpm. Less pitch is in order.

apensa

Cadet

You may also want to check your 'toons for water, they will leak and carrying a bunch of water weight around will slow you down too.

Do you keep this boat on the water all season or do you trailer it after every use?

The boat is kept in the water all year round. We did have a problem with water in the pontoons at the end of last season, but JC took care of it. The "problem" (be it a problem or not) has been there since the boat was first put in the water. It just seems to me it should be faster.

apensa

Cadet

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Your motor should be turning a lot faster than that at WOT. It's either over-propped or not running right.

So, by "over propped" you are saying that I perhaps need to go down to a 13 pitch.....I think that is the next size down from the 15 I have on it.

apensa

Cadet

The Honda 115's rpm range is 4500-6000 rpm; with HP rated at 5250 rpm.

So you're not even developing full power at 4500 rpm. Less pitch is in order.

Thanks. I guess the only way to find out is to order a lower pitch prop and see what happens. thanks

apensa

Cadet
I know it has been a long time since there was any action on this post. The situation never died and neither did I...........just a bunch of circumstances that prevented me from pursuing this although I purchased a new prop with an 11 pitch over a year ago. I finally got the new prop on last week and there was a marked increase in performance. The engine now revs up to a little over 6000 RPM and I am able to maintain a speed of 20 plus miles an hour. I seem to also be getting a better response to steering movements. I imagine my fuel consumption will suffer but at least it now feels like I have a 115 HP motor on the boat........although I don't need it and would never buy a pontoon again with that much power.

ron nh

Cadet
You should be getting much more speed out of that set up. mines an 18' tri-toon with a 115 and hits 40mph gps. came with a 13.25x17 prop. I know you said speeds not that important to you but if its there might as well use it.

apensa

Cadet
Hmmmmm.....wonder what could be wrong. Pontoons are OK. Had a problem a couple of years ago but taken care of under warranty. Varied the pitch several times with no appreciable difference. ...............40 MPH.....Wow.