outboard engine steering problem/ frozen

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: outboard engine steering problem/ frozen

Try tightening the two black nuts. Then try hold the starboard black nut and turn the ram flat. If that doesn't work, you need to get the engine off the transom - no way can you get enough of a swing with a hammer when mounted like that. Plan B is removing the tilt tube and cable as one assembly. Might be easier if you cut the exposed cable off with a hacksaw

emoney

Commander

I had this same problem, and I too fought it for 2 weeks, until I finally gave in and removed the motor, cut the old cable and replaced the cable and tilt tube. If you loosen those two nuts without securing the motor, it will fall off the transom.

fun isnt it. the silver tube with the flat sides (ram) goes in and out of the tube held by the black nuts. if you understand that part then the ans is simple. its common for the silver tube to get stuck i know it looks shinny so it shouldnt stick but it does. the black nuts are holding a tube that should not move with the silver ram so like everyone is surgesting use pb blaster then hit the siver tube so it goes into the tube. if you are lucky its not that stuck and you can get it free then reconnect the steering nut (the dull one) and work the steering and keep wiping the ram and spraying more pb blaster on it until it moves easy. if you are unlucky then you have to remove the motor so you can hit it then beat it all the way until its out then put duck tape backwards on a threaded rod or dowl and wrap a little wet and dry sand paper to it then work that in the tube with a drill and lots of pb blaster to get rid of the build up.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can i use a brake caliper cylinder compressor. that compressor that shops use to push in or compress the cylinder to help push the rod in. has anyone ever tried that.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you for your help previously. i got the steering to work. at the time the problem was at the tilt tube.

i am facing another issue again. this time not the tilt tube. the steering move in and out of the tilt tube with not problem. but the steering is not coming of the cable jacket.

after playing with it at the tilt tube and manually pull some of the steering rod out. when i move the steering wheel, it was able to move the boat. i was able to turn the steering wheel to pull in the steering but it cannot push the steering rod out.

any idea to fix this .

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Replace the helm, 'n cable as a kit, yer's is junk,....