Forester Boats - - Still out there

grb1944

Recruit
My son and then I just each bought our used Foresters. His is a 1994 RIO 18 footer with a 1994 Evinrude 140 and mine is a left over 1985 that was sold new in 1987 180 Phantom Sport with a 185 Mercruiser v-6.

Comments:

1. Too bad they went out of business. I think they built a nice boat for the inland lakes, Lake Winnebago, and The Bay of Green Bay.

2. The Rio previous owner added a 2nd fuel tank and I am adding a 2nd one to my !80 Phantom Sport as the original 20 gallon tank is kinda small for all day cruising/fishing. I am adding the 2nd one on the STBD side with a mechanical selector valve and wiring in the senders to a two way toggle switch so I can read each tank as I use them. I tried to find an economical electric switchover and was not able to so I went with a mechanical Moeller 3 way selector valve. I found the 2nd tank on Craigslist and it is aluminim and solid.

I have no complaints about either boat except they shoehorned the V-6 in the 180 Phantom Sport and I cannot even SEE the spark plugs much less try to change them. I will have a dealer/facility winterize it and change the plugs. The engine has the Thunderbolt solid state ignition.

I wonder if Forester offered the 2nd tank as a factory option. Anybody know?

3. Both boats do an honest 40 mph and I suspect I could get more out of the V-6 if I propped it up a bit. Both boats have bucket front seats and a bench rear seat and ride very well.

Does anyone out there have either of these styles of Forester?

Thanks for reading.

I am located in Green Bay WI. My son in Neenah WI.