Confirm my Anchor Rode/Line Choice

barthel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All,

I'm heading out to the Colorado River next week (Parker) and wasn't 100% about my anchor set up. We leave the boat in the water overnight rather than beach it pr pull it back up on the trailer.

So, box anchor with it's metal bar attachment (about 18"), 15' of chain (D shackled on either end), then about 12' of rope (thimbled on both ends), one end connects to the chain, the other to a 1/2" quick link. From the quick link I hook up 100' of anchor line to tie onto the shore spike (rebar 3' long), I also hook up about 8' of line to the quick link for the mooring float (so we can find the line again).

Basically we motor up to the float and pull on the float line to get to the anchor line. Once we have the anchor line it's looped through the forward cleat and rear cleat. The shore spike has an adjustable hook to account for the river rising and falling overnight.

Am I close????

emoney

Commander
Re: Confirm my Anchor Rode/Line Choice

That sounds like you're dead on. But, why do you use the 12' line between the chain and main line?

barthel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Confirm my Anchor Rode/Line Choice

That sounds like you're dead on. But, why do you use the 12' line between the chain and main line?

I figured it was an easy place to add a quick link to clip the float on. That way I don't have to splice the main line to put a ring or buckle for the line float in.

Is there a better way to attach float to the main line and get rid of the 12'? I wasn't wild about doing it that way, but this is the way I've seen it done at the river.