seafoam in newer motors ?

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi everyone , is it okay to use seafoam in the gastank for newer motors ? my other boat had a 1990 140 johnson on it , this boat has a 1996 merc 115 with the oil injection . thanks .

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: seafoam in newer motors ?

I'm a firm believer in the stuff and use it in every item I have with an engine.

robert graham

Admiral

Seafoam has been around for decades and is well accepted as a fuel stabilizer and a carbon preventer/remover. It's petroleum pale oil, petroleum naptha and alcohol. I use either Seafoam or Stabil all the time, and Yamaha Ringfree all the time for carbon prevention. Installation of a fuel/water separator type canister filter is also an excellent preventive maintenance item. The chemicals and the filter together and you should be nearly home free regarding fuel related problems. And the costs associated with these preventive maintenance items is a whole lot cheaper than the problems they prevent! Good Luck!;)

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks , i will put some in the tank tomorrow .

WIMUSKY

Staff member

x2.. What silvertip said....

oldjeep

Admiral

I'm a firm believer of only putting gasoline in my gas powered vehicles. Gas has enough detergents in it already without dumping in any additional junk.

I'm a firm believer of only putting gasoline in my gas powered vehicles. Gas has enough detergents in it already without dumping in any additional junk.

On some of the older engines Mercruiser recommend adding a good quality upper cylinder lubricant additive! My 1988 4.3 LX is one of them!

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I've rebuilt more than a few vehicle engines after owners decided it would be a good idea to use this stuff in the crankcase.
It may loosen decades of sludge but then what about the pickup screen?
Kind of like giving warfarin to an 90 year old. Something is going to come loose and end up where it should not be.

Those same engines also had to deal with 1988 fuel.

It's not a fuel quality issue. Merc's "Fuel & Oil" FAQ section lists a number of engines prior to year 2000 and most do not require an additive. The exception being certain V6's and older 4's and 8's.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

I've rebuilt more than a few vehicle engines after owners decided it would be a good idea to use this stuff in the crankcase.
It may loosen decades of sludge but then what about the pickup screen?
Kind of like giving warfarin to an 90 year old. Something is going to come loose and end up where it should not be.

LOL :) It is a very good cleaner, that's for sure.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not a big believer in additives either but in certain cases seafoam is worth it's weight in gold.
I have used it religiously in lawn equipment, my outboard and antique vehicles that are only occasionally used.
I have NEVER had one fuel related problem over the course of many years.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I added a little to much on an old 2.9 cause it went to Hades.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'm not a big believer in additives either but in certain cases seafoam is worth it's weight in gold.
I have used it religiously in lawn equipment, my outboard and antique vehicles that are only occasionally used.

Me neither - and I don't use any of that stuff ;) I hear that seafoam and stabil also make good elephant repellants - neighbors swears he hasn't seen any since he started using it ;)

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

My recommendation is to de-carb the motor once a year with Sea Foam ONLY if needed. Run Stabil Marine and Merc Quick Clean always. You'll never have a problem that wouldn't have occured from normal wear and tear anyway.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Me neither - and I don't use any of that stuff ;) I hear that seafoam and stabil also make good elephant repellants - neighbors swears he hasn't seen any since he started using it ;)
DAMN, the traveling snake oil salesman got me again. :facepalm:

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

LOL :D funny stuff!!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

It's okay, you are not alone, I do the same thing, buy it by the gallon :cool: