Pump out toilet

SlideItIn

Recruit
We just bought a bayliner 2550 a month and a half ago and the pump out toilet has been working fine. Now we can't get it to pump water in. We just had it pumped out. Any suggestions?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Pump out toilet

We just bought a bayliner 2550 a month and a half ago and the pump out toilet has been working fine. Now we can't get it to pump water in. We just had it pumped out. Any suggestions?

It's probably a Jabsco. They're cheap and show up as OEM equipment on a gazillion boats, including mine. This is the common symptom when the pump is shot. You can buy a rebuild kit or the entire pump. I replaced the whole pump- easiest 15-minute job I've ever done on a boat. There are 2 different pumps/kits depending on how old the toilet is. You can hawk yours down on the Jabsco site.

My .02

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Great- you DID make sure the seacock for the head is open, right? If it's closed, you can't suck raw water in from outside the boat...

shrew

Lieutenant

Great- you DID make sure the seacock for the head is open, right? If it's closed, you can't suck raw water in from outside the boat...

I was going to say the same thing and add one further. There should be a switch in front of the pump for dry and wet pumping. Make sure that switch is ALL the way over to Wet Pump. Mine frequently feels like it is, but I have to sometimes flip it to Dry, then back to Wet to make sure it went all the way over before I pump.

What are the conditions? Does it pump and not produce anything? Or can you not move the plunger at all? I'd check the seacock and the switch before rebuilding it. Though, keep the rebuild kit, you will need it eventually.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I was going to say the same thing and add one further. There should be a switch in front of the pump for dry and wet pumping. Make sure that switch is ALL the way over to Wet Pump. Mine frequently feels like it is, but I have to sometimes flip it to Dry, then back to Wet to make sure it went all the way over before I pump.

What are the conditions? Does it pump and not produce anything? Or can you not move the plunger at all? I'd check the seacock and the switch before rebuilding it. Though, keep the rebuild kit, you will need it eventually.

Good advice, shrew- from what the OP said originally, the 'will pump out, won't pump in' symptom is one I've seen a half dozen times now with Jabscos, including my own. Assuming the seacock is open and the switch/lever is flipped to the left, it's gonna be the pump.