Installing Anchor rope cleat

TDuff

Cadet
Hey all, I'm looking at installing a cleat on the bow of my Lund SSV14 and use it to secure the anchor line. Currently, there is an aluminum (looks like cast aluminum) plate at the corner of the bow. See photo below.

bow plate.jpg

I'd like to bolt a cleat onto this plate and use it to tie off the anchor rope. Do you know if I can drill through this without it cracking? And will the aluminum stand up to both lake and river anchor use?

Thanks,
TDuff

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Installing Anchor rope cleat

That is cast aluminum alloy and I wouldn't do it, I'd fasten off to the winch eye instead... if you can reach it.

Bondo

Staff member

That is cast aluminum alloy and I wouldn't do it, I'd fasten off to the winch eye instead... if you can reach it.

Ayuh,... If ya can't reach it, tie a tagline from the anchor line, up to that handle, 'n just pull up the anchor line to yerself...

TDuff

Cadet

Hmm. Kinda what I thought. Thanks jigngrub and Bondo.

Other than the winch eye which I think would be a bit difficult, one option would be to replace the current cast aluminum plate with a 1/4" thick aluminum checked plate and then install the cleat in that.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You can drill that and it won't crack, lowers are cast and they get drilled all the time and that looks like a pretty good casting.

I wouldn't think twice about it myself.

fishrdan

Admiral

You can drill that and it won't crack, lowers are cast and they get drilled all the time and that looks like a pretty good casting.

I wouldn't think twice about it myself.

^^^ Agree, that casting will do just fine if you want to mount a cleat on it.

(Personally, I would find another spot as I wouldn't want to drill a bunch of holes in that plate for aesthetic reasons...)

TDuff

Cadet

Thanks guys. Will try it out and see how it goes.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd do it, too. Doesn't need to be big. If you're worried abuot the strength of the bow deck, just fashion a mounting plate underneath; could even be plywood. Cleats up there get cuaght under or bump against pier stringers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would put a cleat on each side rail myself, just aft of the plate.