loose bow ring on a 1971 Fiberform trihull

willib0731

Cadet
I noticed the bow ring was loose the other day. Not sure if the nuts have worked loose on the inside or what. The problem is that I can't get to the inside. Any suggestions besides opening up the glass in the bow well?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: loose bow ring on a 1971 Fiberform trihull

could use more info on your boat and the bow, but yes you have to get to the back side. This is very important if you trailer your boat and winch it up, or get towed.
Until it's fixed, secure your boat to the trailer (if you use one) by other means--your safety chain hooks into the same eye, so everything is riding on the loose nuts.

Bondo

Staff member

I noticed the bow ring was loose the other day. Not sure if the nuts have worked loose on the inside or what. The problem is that I can't get to the inside. Any suggestions besides opening up the glass in the bow well?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Pictures,..??..?? There's Always a Way,... Findin' it is sometimes Tough....

Is the well a separate castin',..??

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You're either going to have to pop the cap on that boat or cut an access hole. You've got to get in there to it and there's no other way I can think of.

They usually use nyloc nuts on those, and those rarely back off.

I'd guess you have a backing block glassed into your hull and it has decayed.

willib0731

Cadet

I managed to get my 10 yo to wriggle up under the seats and he got a socket with a long extension and as couple of wobblies on it and tightened it up. I also puttied and resined it in from the outside. After it set it held firm for a dry crank. (pushed back on the trailer and cranked back up. I think I got it. Thanks for the suggestions!!