What is the best push pole?

IDM

Cadet
Looking to buy a push pole for my flats boat. It came with a 21.5 foot pole which is shedding fiberglass right now.

Looking to buy the best out there. What brand and what length should I get? My boat is a 19' Silver King and I would like to start using the pole a lot.

Thanks!

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What is the best push pole?

I would get a roll of guerrilla (sp?) tape ( from the manufacturers of the glue ) This tape is black. Wrap your pole with the tape to prevent the splinters. Cheaper than a new pole.

IDM

Cadet

The pole has a crack in it too so I need another!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

One thing I learned is to have the pole shorter than the boat, and even better, be able to stow it inside the hull or rails. If longer, and yo leave the end sticking out over the bow, you end up "pier jousting" and the pier wins. Hang over the transom and invariably it will slide overboard.

My most recent pole, I stuffed with styrofoam to slow the sinking rate when it falls over in deep water to join the other two. I use telescoping which are good for my marsh use but not for lots of poling. We have 2 old fiberglass poles at the hunt club I don;t know the brand but they are easily 20 years old; one is about 16' the other 14' due to pier jousting.

Nothing like a good old sapling cut and whittled pole, too, if you have the right trees.

kfa4303

Banned

I use good ol bamboo. It's strong, round, water resistant, has between used since the beginning of time, oh and its free! I have a 1 1/14" piece that "clicks" into some homemade PVC pushpole clips that are mounted along the top of my rubrail. It works like a charm and cost about $2 rather than $200+ for the fancy carbon fiber jobbers. I concur on the length too. I wouldn't make it much longer than the boat itself. Also, 19' is pretty long for a poling skiff. I hope you're ready for a workout because when that big boat is broadside to the wind it will be all you can do to keep it straight. 16' is about the max for a flats/poling skiff. This is what you really need if you really want to do lots of poling.

skiff 2.jpgpoling skiff.jpgNice 1.jpg

My bamboo pushpole:

Front side 4.jpg

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Bamboo is good, telescoping poles in fiberglass or aluminum can be bought at Pool Supply Centers. Heavier fiberglass versions are nothing more than Painters extension poles, get those at HD or Lowes. You can get them in telescoping versions too. I have a 15 footer that I throw in the boat when I'm rock hunting. I put a rubber foot on it to keep the mud out of it.