Loose ladder screw/bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Just got back from two weeks at the lake, during which time it seemed that we were accumulating more water in the bilge than normal.

In prepping the boat today for a river outing tomorrow, I noticed one of the screws (bolts?) that is under the waterline was loose. I tried to tighten it but it just spun in its hole. I tried to remove it, but it wouldn't back out of its hole, even when I slid a very small prybar under the head while turning the screw.

I am starting to wonder if this is a bolt rather than a screw-- I assumed it was a screw because it has a Phillips head, but that was just an assumption. Are ladders generally fastened with screws or bolts? This is a '97 Larson bowrider, if that matters.

A related question: in trying to see if the ladder fastener penetrates the hull, I found that there is a carpeted 'false wall' in the engine compartment. I am trying to figure out how to remove it so I can see what's behind it. The carpeted board seems pretty loose at the top, but seems to be fastened to the decking somehow along the bottom. (Unfortunately, this is the side if the engine compartment where wiring, the main gas filler line and the shifter cable are located, so some of those are in the way, too.) Any tips on how to get behind this? If I can move all the stuff obstructing the rear wall, is it likely that it might lay down flat and allow me to see the transom from inside? I don't have a very good idea of how boats are constructed...

Sorry for the long post, but I'm unsure how to proceed. I'm also more than a little freaked out that there may be more serious transom issues lurking....

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Loose ladder screw/bolt

pics will help.

what kind of boat?

if your leaking water into the transom, you need to seal that soon. preferably before you put the boat back in the water.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

It's a 1997 Larson 186 SEI bowrider I/O. I'll try to get some pics now and post.

I don't plan to splash it again until I'm certain this is fixed.

Thanks!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If they were bolts, there would be nuts and washers on the inside of the transom.
My bet is they are stripped out, go with the next size bigger screw to see if it bites into the wood and fill the hole with 3m 4200/5200 depending if you ever want to get the screws out or not.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Here are a few pics. This first one is the ladder bracket with the loose bolt/screw. The top one is loose.

ladder_bracket.jpg

This second picture is of the engine compartment 'false wall' on the far starboard side. The small corrugated hoses are bilge pump outlets, and the large are ventilation hoses for the compartment. The horizontal line running across the middle of the compartment photos is the steering cable, I believe.

compartment1.jpg

This third picture is of that same false wall, but more toward the center of the boat. The white residue on the carpet floor is new since our trip. Evidence of water?

compartment2.jpg

It looks to me as though I'll need to disconnect the big breather tubes, the steering cable, and probably the bilge outlets if I'm to even have a chance at removing the false wall. The only thing that really has me concerned is the steering cable... I've never messed with it and I don't know if there are any tricks to removing it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

If they were bolts, there would be nuts and washers on the inside of the transom.
My bet is they are stripped out, go with the next size bigger screw to see if it bites into the wood and fill the hole with 3m 4200/5200 depending if you ever want to get the screws out or not.

That's what I thought, at first, too. There is a carpeted piece of plywood that is obstructing my view of the inside of the transom, though, so I can't see if there are washers/nuts or not.(I just posted pics of the inside of the engine compartment where the ladder attaches.)

If there are not washer/nuts in there somewhere, I'm really stumped, because the the screw/bolt spins but does not loosen or back out of the hole.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Those bolts have nyloc nuts on the back of them and there's now way to get it out without holding the nut too.

When you gain access through the bulkhead install an access panel so you can get to them easier next time and keep an eye on them. This is one of the main things that causes transom rot with your kind of boat.

You should probably take all of the bolts out and reseal all the holes with 3M 5200, then reinstall them making sure everything is good and tight.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

See if you can get somethin under the head of the screw/bolt and pry it you as you turn with the phillips head screw driver. That screw has to come out. If it is a machine screw it could take a lot of turns to get it out.

My concern is if the screw penatrates the outer layer of fiberglass in a plywood cored transom then you may have water and/or rot in the plywood core. If you do liberally squirt automotive antifreeze into the hole (use a large hypo)when you get the screw out. Anifreeze kills fungus in wood which causes wood rot. Let it dry as best as you can. Post back and let us know what you find.

NYBo

Admiral

The swim ladder on my lowly Bayliner is through-bolted, so I can't imagine yours isn't also. Jigngrub has the right idea: cut an access hole in that panel. You can install a deck plate to tidy it up, if desired.

See if you can get somethin under the head of the screw/bolt and pry it you as you turn with the phillips head screw driver. That screw has to come out. If it is a machine screw it could take a lot of turns to get it out.
He said he tried that and it didn't work.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I just found out I have some serious rot problems in my boat's transom. Looks like I have much larger issues than a loose bolt. I am not happy right now...

Thanks to all for your help.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Sorry to hear that, but I figured you'd find something like that when you got it opened up.

Come join us in the restoration forum and we'll get you fixed up with what to do.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Sorry to hear that. we can help.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just found out I have some serious rot problems in my boat's transom. Looks like I have much larger issues than a loose bolt. I am not happy right now...

Thanks to all for your help.

Sorry for your problem....wish we could fix it for ya right today. If you don't mind telling us, how did you come to that conclusion, what did you find? Your problem may help others avoid what your current situation is. Again sorry for your probs -Joe

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Well, I'm over the initial disappointment, but I'm still pretty overwhelmed with what's most likely ahead. After I removed the big breather tubes in the photo, I saw some buckled paint on the transom wood. I poked it with a screwdriver and it penetrated the wood easily. Then I reached way back and I was able to grab a handful of wood out of the transom with just my fingers. Much of it was dry, but definitely rotted. I was surprised because I checked the transom on the port side of the boat (which is much less concealed by stuff) and it is solid. I assumed the starboard side would be as well. (The accessible parts of the starboard side transom were solid, too.) The fiberglass on the outside of the transom is in good shape... no cracks or anything, and the outdrive doesn't budge when you put weight on it.

We just bought the boat this Spring, and I know it's my bad for not catching it, but I missed it. Just kind of frustrating to be facing a big project after owning the boat less than a year. Guess I'll be heading to the Dry Dock...

Jim

Wlefrancois

Cadet
I have a similar issue with the ladder. Pulled the access panel out and there is no way to get to the bolts. Any suggestions?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a similar issue with the ladder. Pulled the access panel out and there is no way to get to the bolts. Any suggestions?

Please start a new thread, this one is almost 6 years old. When you start the new one, tell what you have - Boats are all different.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.