cable steering on a 1970 40HP 40072 Evinrude " Lark"

BC Derek

Cadet
Hello again..

My little runabout is a 14ft KC Thermoglass with a nice old 40hp Evinrude Lark that I have partly restored...my problem is that the cable steering on the runabout is rubbish and keeps coming off the spiral drum behind the steering wheel...so it is not very reliable or safe.
Is there a better way to steer this engine..? I cannot see how I could connect a Teleflex type system to this 1970 Evinrude because it has 2 loops on the engine for the cable pulleys ..is it possible to get a better system does anyone know..?

Thanks Derek

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: cable steering on a 1970 40HP 40072 Evinrude " Lark"

well I am not too sure exactly what it required to do it, but i know you can switch the steering over. I have a 1966 14 foot fiberglass boat that used to have the same steering system as yours does. When i bought it off the guy he was telling me about how to changed it over to the newer system.. from what he told me, it wasnt all that much work to do it.

Someone else also was asking me about the steering on my boat so i posted some close of pics of how it mounted to the motor for him.. might help you out.. thread is called 1962 johnson thanks for the help.

good luck! and im sure you'll get a lot more usfull advise from the other members lol

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes you can change to a single cable system and you you will have to install some adapters since your motor is not equipped with a steering tube.

I do not have pictures of the hook up but, it is not hard. The hardest part is collecting the parts.

Have you considered new cable, pulleys and springs for your current system? If the steering drum is not broken or missing pieces of metal they do how fine.

BC Derek

Cadet

Thanks for the replies...and I have looked at your pix of the modification you did...so Iam inspired now to search out some parts.At least now I know it is possible .

Thanks guys Derek Alltree BC Canada