rudder for a jon boat?

BPsting23

Cadet
So I purchased a 12' sea nymph that I'll be fixing up over the next year. I currently have a bow mount trolling motor on it, and I cannot keep the back end from drifting all over the place. I ran power through the floor so I can balance the weight better by keeping the batteries in the back, but this hasn't helped. A little googling has told me that installing a rudder is the most popular solution to this problem. However, Im having trouble coming up with a plan for building one. The main catch is that I want it to be removeable, and have looked into using a transom mount trolling motor bracket, and maybe an old aluminum paddle in it or something similar to that. But these brackets can cost upwards of $50 new, and craigslist hasn't produced any old trolling motors for less than $50 in my area recently. If anyone has built a rudder, or found a cheap alternative, please help. Pictures are greatly appreciated.

BP

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: rudder for a jon boat?

easiest solution is to put the motor on the stern where it belongs when you don't have an OB. No point in operating two tillers at once.

But if you insist, look at the stern of a small sailboat: there are typically two rings mounted horizontally on the transom and corresponding rings on the rudder. Maybe you can pick something up from the boat junkyard or from a sailing center.

New, because it's about sailing, will cost you an arm and a leg (why do you think pirates have hooks and peg legs?)

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: rudder for a jon boat?

Just buy the cheapest trolling motor you can find new or used and put it on the back to serve as a rudder and as a backup motor. Wind will blow a jon boat reguardless however. We have had relentless wind here since last Sept from 10-25 mph and I fish out of jon boats almost exclusively. Just the nature of the beast.