What interesting nautical uses do you put your iPad to?

The ubiquitous iPad is a very versatile device. What do you use yours for in connection with the sea?

6kt. against a 6kt. stream gives you time to wish you'd route planned.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What interesting nautical uses do you put your iPad to?

I use this one a lot. It lets me know where the big ships are too, and when they are coming back into port. (so I don't set my crabbing gear where they come in and dock). Its a very awesome free app, you can see boats all over the world.

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Navionics and gps speedo

Hi Thanks for the reply and for the URL. Very useful - I can even see yachts on Southampton Water. Awesome! With 3GS on the iPad it would be very useful in crowded areas with good phone links, like the Solent.

I use this one a lot.[/url]

superbenk

Commander

I recently bought FlyToMaps for the iPad. It was way cheaper than Navionics (which I got for my iPhone) but nowhere near as nice.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

they make good planer boards for trolling

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would not touch an IPad with a 10 foot pole. That said my Android device is used regularly with regard to my boating activities.
GPS Nav
I have a boating weather app as well as a boat ramp app that shows me all the boat ramps in my area.
GPS speed and direction...

Oh and all the normal stuff like communication with dry land!
:D

sstone

Seaman

Second the navionics app. Clutch when I get caught after dark on the opposite end of the lake. I've made a few 30 mile pitch black trips with it. Extremely accurate depth charts, and a gps speedo built in. Also great for exploring those stumpy parts of the lake. Not to mention distance tracking for fuel economy figuring.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Thanks for the reply and for the URL. Very useful - I can even see yachts on Southampton Water. Awesome! With 3GS on the iPad it would be very useful in crowded areas with good phone links, like the Solent.

Your welcome.. it's fun even sitting at home watching the boats move around. :) you can also use this on Droid phones and pads. (thats what I have)

Brewman61

Ensign

Don't have an Ipad but I do have an android smartphone. I use that for knot tying application, and the Google My Tracks to see where I've been, how far, how fast, and even a relatively useless altitude chart thing. Funny thing about the altitude is that it shows significant elevation changes as I cross our lake, which is relatively flat, as most lakes tend to be. I also use the phone to call ahead at the marina so they have my pizza ready for me when I get there. And I pipe my MP3 files into my amplifier so I can hear my tunes thru the boats audio system.

I would not touch an IPad with a 10 foot pole.:D

Hi, thanks for the reply. Would that be because you have something against iPads or just that it's size and cost would not be as convenient to you as your phone is? Regards Chris.

Knot tying app. Can you give me a URL for that?

The altitude thing is because the GPS system only approximates for the shape of the earth. The earth is not actually exactly spherical so your GPS will often place you 20 or 30 ft/met. above or below water level, especially on lakes which may be well above or below sea level anyway.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would not touch an IPad with a 10 foot pole. That said my Android device is used regularly with regard to my boating activities.

+1

I can get a lot more device out of a lot less money by avoiding that rotten apple....

Sticking with the open source stuff, I have OpenCPN on my linux netbook, and a couple different boating related apps on my smartphone, ranging from chart plotter apps, knot guides and rope splicing, to prop tuning.

Brewman61

Ensign

Knot tying app. Can you give me a URL for that?

Its called Knots 3D, and it's available on the android market, as well as Amazon's app store. There is a free and paid version- I got the paid version for free as it was Amazon's free app of the day a couple weeks ago. The description on the free app tells you what the paid app offers as an upgrade. Think it costs $1.99. Worth it to me.