1967 20' Fiberform Continental

randyhutch

Cadet
Guys I need some advice on whether or not this boat is worth restoring. I really like it and I think I can get it for small amount of money. From what I can tell it needs a new floor, complete interior, and paint. I think the hull looks pretty good and the trailer needs cleaned up but is descent. How do I tell if this boat one even has stringers and two are they rotten? I am prepaired to do some interior work and flooring etc. It has a Mercruiser Model 160 inboard/outboard in it that runs.

I need advice guys. I am trying to find the right project to start and I think this boat is really cool.photo (9).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto (3).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto (6).JPG

randyhutch

Cadet
Re: 1967 20' Fiberform Continental

In addition I noticed under the rotted floor last night that there are some wood stringers going long ways throughout the boat and at least half of them are rotted. But there have been 2 replaced in the middle of the boat that are still good. I assume the two stringers that the motor sits on.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: 1967 20' Fiberform Continental

Hey Randy:

Sounds like that one was left in pretty rough shape. Could you restore it? Sure. It's probably going to be a.) a LOT of work and b.) rather expensive. If your stringers and your floor are shot (you're describing both that way), then your transom is most likely (almost certainly) gone too. Your talking about gutting the boat (engine and all) to completely redo it. It's a monumental project - look at some restoration threads in the Restoration and Boat Building Forum.

If it's just the cool factor of old glass boats (I like 'em too), save your money up start looking for something in better shape. Boats don't hold value like classic cars, so you've got a good chance of finding something fun and in good shape.