Stingray window replacment

debo1683

Cadet
Hey folks-

Been reading about, calling about and visiting places about getting a starboard side windshield replaced in 1991 Stingray 536. The windshield has an ever so slight curve to it. The boat is old and not worth very much so I hate to spend a ton of money on it, which I am also finding to be a huge problem. I have a quote from UPD Plastics for $125 plus shipping, but a 6 week turn around time.

I live in central Ohio and can't seem to get any good information on someone doing it locally.

Do you folks have any advice for me to follow? Are plastic windshields good in a metal frame? I would assume they are or they wouldn't sell them that way. I just worry that after a season or two the thing will be horribly hazey and scratched and I won't be able to see through it ...

Here is a picture so you can see the carnage.

Thanks!

boatwindow.jpg

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stingray window replacment

Dude,
Try the Stingray boat sight. It's for Stingray owners exclusively.
Go to.....mystingray.com

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer

I haven't checked the stingray owners site, but I not only own a stingray, I am in plastic fabrication. This spring I replaced one of my curved windows (port) and I would estimate the cost to another customer to be in the $300-$400 range for the amount of labor involved, so $125 seems cheap.

edit: should have looked at your pics first. That can be replaced with a flat piece of 3/16 clear acrylic for about $40. It will take you about an hour or two to remove the aluminum frame and cut the piece to fit correctly. Then get some window gasket from a quality hardware store (you may need to double up, but mine fit ok)(you might be able to re-use what's there) Attach the gasket to the window and use some masking tape to hold in place. After reattaching the aluminum frame carefully cut the tape flush with the gasket and re-install the trim. To finish you can fill with black silicone caulk, but don't use it as the means to hold the window-that's waht the gasket is for.

debo1683

Cadet

I haven't checked the stingray owners site, but I not only own a stingray, I am in plastic fabrication. This spring I replaced one of my curved windows (port) and I would estimate the cost to another customer to be in the $300-$400 range for the amount of labor involved, so $125 seems cheap.

edit: should have looked at your pics first. That can be replaced with a flat piece of 3/16 clear acrylic for about $40. It will take you about an hour or two to remove the aluminum frame and cut the piece to fit correctly. Then get some window gasket from a quality hardware store (you may need to double up, but mine fit ok)(you might be able to re-use what's there) Attach the gasket to the window and use some masking tape to hold in place. After reattaching the aluminum frame carefully cut the tape flush with the gasket and re-install the trim. To finish you can fill with black silicone caulk, but don't use it as the means to hold the window-that's waht the gasket is for.

There is an ever so slight curve to the window. Is there enough play in that acrylic to get that little bit of a curve? I have no problem cutting acrylic and fitting it to the frame and re using the gasket, but i have no idea if it will bend enough.... Everything survived the tree branch impact but the windshield supports and that piece of glass...

bekosh

Lieutenant

There is an ever so slight curve to the window. Is there enough play in that acrylic to get that little bit of a curve? I have no problem cutting acrylic and fitting it to the frame and re using the gasket, but i have no idea if it will bend enough.... Everything survived the tree branch impact but the windshield supports and that piece of glass...
I can say with certainty that that the acrylic will bend for that curve. I had a Wellcraft 216XL that I replaced the windshield on and it looks like the amount of curve is about the same.

I would recommend a shatter-proof
poly-carbonate, Lexan is one brand name, Optix is another. I used the Optix brand.

I can also say that durability is also good. I sold the boat to a friend so I still see the boat on the water and the poly-carb is just as clear as the day I installed it. No scratching or yellowing at all after 4 years.
ButtedesMorts9-12-098.jpg

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer

I can say with certainty that that the acrylic will bend for that curve. I had a Wellcraft 216XL that I replaced the windshield on and it looks like the amount of curve is about the same.

I would recommend a shatter-proof
poly-carbonate, Lexan is one brand name, Optix is another. I used the Optix brand.

I can also say that durability is also good. I sold the boat to a friend so I still see the boat on the water and the poly-carb is just as clear as the day I installed it. No scratching or yellowing at all after 4 years.
ButtedesMorts9-12-098.jpg

Do not use polycarbonate. It is stronger than acrylic but nearly 100 times more suceptible to scratching. Acrylic is about 10 times more suceptible to scratching and is still 4 times the break strength of glass. Also polycarbonate is far more prone to hazing for a variety of reasons.

The reason your old windshield is still clear is that optix is not polycarbonate. Optix is another brand name of acrylic. So is lucite, plexiglass and others. Polycarbonate brand names include Lexan and Makrolon.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer

if there is a hard curve near the edge of the glass, it won't work, but if it is more of a smooth arch, you should have no problem. Mine had the sharp curve, but from the pics it looks like yours does not. You can also make a template of cardboard by placing it over the outside of the frame and tracing with a sharpie on the inside/opposite side of the frame. Then cut the cardboard about an extra 1/4" all around and use this as a template to cut the acrylic. If it's a little too big, you can always trim. Tool of choice to cust to shape would be a band saw, but you can use a jig saw too. Scrape the edges or hit with 150 sandpaper on any sander or by hand to break the edges. Don't peel the protective paper off the material until after your test fit.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Do not use polycarbonate. It is stronger than acrylic but nearly 100 times more suceptible to scratching. Acrylic is about 10 times more suceptible to scratching and is still 4 times the break strength of glass. Also polycarbonate is far more prone to hazing for a variety of reasons.

The reason your old windshield is still clear is that optix is not polycarbonate. Optix is another brand name of acrylic. So is lucite, plexiglass and others. Polycarbonate brand names include Lexan and Makrolon.

I stand corrected. :redface: I guess I lucked out that the Optix was on sale and cheaper than Lexan when I bought it.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer

I stand corrected. :redface: I guess I lucked out that the Optix was on sale and cheaper than Lexan when I bought it.

Wasn't trying to correct you. Believe me I've been in plastics for 25 years and there's people in the industry that have a hard time with all the brand names out there. Actually, I forgot to mention that acrylic (optix) is cheaper than polycarbonate by like 40%

bekosh

Lieutenant

No problem muskyfins, I was thinking that acrylic and polycarb were basically the same.
Your correction was appropriate. I'd hate to accidentally lead someone down the wrong path.