Frozen Steering on a 90 p Force

bluetechie

Recruit
Hi .
I have a 93 Bayliner with a 90 hp Force Engine.The steering is frozen in the retracted position,it has a Teflex Rack & Pinion steering,des anyone have any sugestions on how to free the cable?
Thanks

Mytime2

Recruit
Re: Frozen Steering on a 90 p Force

Do you have hydrolic centerpoint sterring
\

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Frozen Steering on a 90 p Force

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Disconnect the steering arm from the motor. Now try to turn the helm, and turn the motor by hand. That should tell you where the trouble is.

bluetechie

Recruit
Re: not hydrolic steering

Do you have hydrolic centerpoint sterring
\

No the steering is manual steering.I released the steering arm ,also unscrewed the cable from motor.Cable moves , ,but not through motor.Shaft through motor seems to be to be seized

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You can try pumping grease into the kingpin and heating with a propane torce but I doubt it will work.

What happens is that the yoke that the kingpin goes through corrodes and squeezes the plastic bushings the kingpin is held into.

The only real cure is to remove the engine from the boat and take off the front plate, yoke, and transom clamp assembly. Then, drive out the kingpin and sand it smooth. Remove the plastic bushings and ream the center back to kingpin size and clean the corrosion off the inside of the yoke. Grease everything and reassemble, then pump grease into the assembly.

It is a difficult and long job. You may be better off buying a junker engine and salvaging the transom assembly.