Rule SuperSwitch float switch failure

too_thirsty

Recruit
It failed when there was no water in the bilge (as it was hanging in my boat lift), but it actually turned ON the bilge pump which ran until the battery went dead!

This is the second time (in 2 years) that this has happend to me.

The switch is warantied for 5 years, but what about the battery that is now ruined (I fish offshore and will not stand for a marginal battery)?

The bilge pump circuit is wired from the factory.
No, there were no leaves jamming the switch in the up position.
The boat is covered, and under a roof, so no rain could have caused this.
I removed the switch and verified it is shorted in ANY position.

In the old days, the switches had a little tube of mercury in them - they never failed. This Rule SuperSwitch is, of course. "mercury free".

Has anyone else had this problem?

Can anyone recommend a better float switch?

TOO_THIRSTY

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rule SuperSwitch float switch failure

If it's under cover you don't need the bilge pump operational. As a fail safe, simply turn off the pump when not in use.

I havew used a Rule-A-Matic Plus going on 6 years now w/o a problem.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

It failed when there was no water in the bilge (as it was hanging in my boat lift), but it actually turned ON the bilge pump which ran until the battery went dead!

This is the second time (in 2 years) that this has happend to me.

The switch is warantied for 5 years, but what about the battery that is now ruined (I fish offshore and will not stand for a marginal battery)?

The bilge pump circuit is wired from the factory.
No, there were no leaves jamming the switch in the up position.
The boat is covered, and under a roof, so no rain could have caused this.
I removed the switch and verified it is shorted in ANY position.

In the old days, the switches had a little tube of mercury in them - they never failed. This Rule SuperSwitch is, of course. "mercury free".

Has anyone else had this problem?

Can anyone recommend a better float switch?

TOO_THIRSTY

Welcome to iBoats TOO THIRSTY. With all the protection you obviously give your boat I might suggest just disconnect all electrical while being stored. If your Rule SuperSwitch has to operate in salt water there may have been corrosion or build up in the area where the float moves up and down. Or the switch is just a POS as are many cheap plastic marine items.

FYI: This was highjacked from http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/331256-best-float-switch-rule-2000-gph-bilge-pump.html

Sticking switches can melt in the open position. The float switch relies on being immersed in water to cool it and not being open for very long. If it is stuck on, the water is pumped out and the resistance of the switch builds up heat and it deforms the plastic. I never would have believed it until I replaced one for that reason. Mount your float switch a little higher than your bilge pump so it always turns off. Replace it if it starts acting up. Make sure the amp rating of the switch is higher than the draw of the bilge pump. Keep your bilges free of debris that could obstruct the the switch from working. Mount it as vertical as possible. The Rules are good.

etracer68

Ensign

Maybe a mouse running around? The battery should be able to be charged back up, if it was in good shape to start with. If your going off shore, I would hope you have two batterys. I go out on Lake Michigan, and wouldnt think of going out without two batterys. I have completely drained a good battery, and recharged it with no problems.

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm, I was thinking of replacing my old outdated switch, but maybe I won't.
The one I have has a ball inside the float, that goes to the small end to turn it on
maybe I'll just leave it cause it has worked great, thank for the heads up

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The float switch relies on being immersed in water to cool it and not being open for very long. If it is stuck on, the water is pumped out and the resistance of the switch builds up heat and it deforms the plastic.

Float switches doe not require water cooling. If you melted the housing it's becouse the circuit was shorted to ground, probably in the float switch, and the circuit feeding it was not properly fused. Otherwise the fuse would have blown long before the wire/switch got hot enough to damage the float.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree with dingbat.

I also buy the switches that are inside a plastic ox so they can't get stuck open--or worse, closed--by something in the bilge.

One more example of cheap stuff (no matter how much you pay or what brand you buy) that your whole boat, and maybe your life, depends.

I often avoid the new and improved stuff, and scour for old obsolete high quality always functioning stuff. A bilge switch, I don't know if I'd rather have a good old one that's been around or not. I'm replacing one in one of my boats that I suspect is waterlogged and doesn't float.