anyone bought a moeller ice chest???

perry barras

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i bought this one in the pics just trying to get feedback on it and not trying to start a yetti vs moeller war lol

photo-8adadaqdq.jpg

photo-5kjhgf.jpg

photo-4fg.jpg

robert graham

Admiral
Re: anyone bought a moeller ice chest???

I've never seen a Moeller Ice Chest, but it should be great, since they're soo good a fuel tanks. Hopefully the price can give those expensive Yeti Coolers some much needed competion! Great looking cooler!...

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Size to size, how much cheaper than a Yetti was/is it?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't take one of those POS Moellers if you paid me!:mad:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just kidding. Moeller, Engel, Yeti and Canyon are all rotomolded coolers with lots of insulation. That's what makes them so tough and ugh, heavy. I went with a Yeti for several reasons, but not because I think it's any better quality than the other ones I just mentioned.

perry barras

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i paid 325.00 for my 90 qt. moeller and the yetti 50 qt. cost 325.00 thats why i went with moeller bigger chest same quality reasonable price..

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Such a sweet rig you have!

perry barras

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i think yetti doesnt make a 90 they make a 75qt.(399.99) and a 105 qt(429.00) and correction guys mine is a 94 qt. 329.00
here is the specs on moeller coolers
Shipping weight reflects calculated Dimensional Weight and is not actual product weight - see here for details.

Dimensions: 34.75" L x 18.63" W x 17.75" H

Ice-Station Zero with Arctic Technology is the latest break-through in portable cooler engineering. Ideally suited for fishing, camping, hunting, or any outdoor activity where rugged durability and long-term cooling is a necessity. Our sturdy ice-chest is the perfect companion for every sportsman and outdoor enthusiast. The Moeller Ice Station Zero Cooler is ideally suited for boating, fishing, hunting, camping or any other activity which requires long-term cooling and rugged storage. Keeps ice for up to 5 days in 90 degree heat.

Features:

High-impact, seamless, Arctic White MDPE double-walled construction that withstands sitting, standing, and environmental punishments
Exclusive molded polymer incorporates homogenous UV stabilized color throughout to ensure a high, steadfast white.
Each lid seal undergoes a 24 hour pressure fitting process that ensures the most conforming seal possible.
Seaworthy design provides longer life with corrosion resistant stainless steel hinges.
Higher R value insulation in body and lid retains the cold longer.
Resilient, FDA approved polyethylene won’t absorb or transfer odors; no more fishy smells to worry about.
Specially formed insulating foam is a thick celled latticework with an R-7 rating; provides an increased temperature differential that outlasts the competition by keeping the inside temperature colder longer.
Insulating foam is a moisture resistant, thick-celled latticework that keeps the inside temperature where you need it: warm or cold.
Zero drain design completely empties liquid.
Dual drains are standard for simpler, hassle free cleaning.
Stout rope handles allow for easier toting without taking up a lot of extra boat space.
Secure Cam-Latch Closures keep lid closed tight, reducing heat leakage.
Each cooler seal undergoes a twenty-four hour pressure fitting process to ensure the most individually conforming seal possible.
Self Adhesive bumper pads provided to help prevent sliding on deck surfaces.
High-impact, seamless, double-walled construction that withstands sitting (Up to 310 lbs), standing, and environment
Seaworthy design
Full length fish scale built directly into cooler lid
Child-safety lid latches
Holds ice up to 5 days in advanced molded polyethylene, double-wall injection.
Stainless steel hardware
Includes corrosive resistant stainless steel hinges to withstand the elements
Corrosion resistant composite seat frame
Cooler Sizes:

043129 = 94 Quart
043126 = 125 Quart
043127 = 170 Quart
43128 = 270 Quart Available by Special Order

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm learning guys, so please bare with me and be gentle.
If I have the same size Igloo and Yetti ( or any other high end ) I put 3 bags of ice in each and set them side by side, when the ice is water in the Igloo, how much ice is in the Yetti still ?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Fair question. I've known lots of guys who have ponied up for a high dollar box and gotten POd when it didn't hold ice much better than the forty dollar coolers they'd been using, and I've had to explain to them that if they just throw a couple bags of ice and a warm thirty pack in there and are in and out of it all day they're not going to notice much improvement in ice retention. If you want ice for ten days you have to chill the cooler, use block ice, fill it completely to eliminate air pockets, and don't open it twenty times an hour. Now, if you do that with an Igloo or Coleman your ice rentention will improve too, but it won't be on par with the high end coolers.

That's the difference with regard to performance, so if you were to spend that kind of cash on a beer cooler you'd be disappointed, at least for the first year, which in my experience is about how long the cheaper coolers last, which brings me to the main reasons I finally popped for a Yeti.

I do a lot of float camping out of a raft. One of the seats/fishing platforms is a 120 quart Yeti. You can't even sit, let alone stand, on a cheap (hundred dollar) 120 quart cooler without caving in the lid. Try telling people in camp or kids on the party barge they can't sit on that huge cooler. Every evening when I stop to camp I take it out of the frame (not an easy job) and drag it up the gravel bar. The first time I tried that with a hundred dollar Igloo the handle popped off. The latch (yep, one latch for a 120 quart cooler) was torn off after two trips. It did a decent job of cooling, especially after I glued some reflective insulation to the inside of the lid, but it just couldn't handle the slightest abuse, and the abuse I dish out is rarely slight. So, let's say I have to replace that cooler once a year at $100 a pop. Based on that math the Yeti will have paid for itself in a little over four years and will last at least twice that, so within that context alone it made sense for me. It wouldn't for everyone.

There are also some neat little things that don't seem that big but are really handy. Screw in ported drain plugs on both ends allow me to drain it from either end without having to completely remove the plug, and the plugs are gasketed, so when they're screwed in there's no cold loss from them. The bottom is designed such that it will drain almost completely when level. There's a dry goods basket that keeps things like lettuce cold (but no so cold it freezes, and yes I have had things partially freeze in there) but dry, and you can drop dry ice right into the cooler. Try that with an Igloo or Coleman. There are no hinges on the cooler to break. Instead, there's a rod that joins lid and box. There are slots on the ends of the cooler that allow you to strap it down without having to run the strap over the lid which is really useful to me. I'm not crazy about the rubber T-grip/latches. I tore one on vacation a couple of weeks ago. However, I called and told them the day I got home and two days later there was a set of new ones in my mailbox no questions asked.

I'm really hard on stuff, so I decided a high end cooler would be a good investment for me, but they are definitely not for everyone. The Yeti was my fortieth birthday present to myself.:D

oldjeep

Admiral

Yup - hard to justify the $$$ if all you use it for is day use. My 100 quart Igloo Maxcold was about $60 ;) That one you have pictured looks beefy as hell.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Perry, you may already know this, but you really need to keep your Moeller out of the sun when you're not using it. UV rays are a rotomolded cooler's worst enemy.

Expidia

Commander

With my next rig I'll have one of those coolers above. What I most like about them is that some boating stores for the larger models give you a bonus snap on seat cushion which allows the cooler to double as more onboard seating!

I've been using a nylon 30 quart Igloo which has a plastic insert so it never leaks a drop in my car going or coming.

Tip: I get 12 hours plus from whatever has accummulated in my freezers ice maker holder. My trick is as soon as I launch I wet a white towel which is a little bigger than the coolers top in the lake and drape it over the cooler. I re-wet the towel a couple of times during the day. I also cover the cooler with a thin life preserver (serves to insulate it even more from the sun) and bungie it on so it does not blow off.

This method in a 90 degree day keeps ice in there from 8:30 am to 10:30 pm enough so when we stop at a restaurant for dinner on the 1.5 hour trip home it still keeps my leftovers cold!

The wet towel trick would help "any" cooler keep the ice intact longer. It's not like we dont have access to cool water :D

Maybe I'll turn my live well (which I've never used in 5 years) into a portable cooler. I could put a plastic cooler in there and just push the switch and the cool water would flow in and out for an instant water change.

To the O/P . . . nice rig ya got there :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Tip: I get 12 hours plus from whatever has accummulated in my freezers ice maker holder.

Yes, good point. This is much better ice than you get at the store. It lasts a lot longer. Something I forgot to mention about the Yeti; if you put padlocks through the provided holes it will keep out a bar, even if he really wants to get into it. This was something I didn't really care about until I heard reports from buddies of black bears getting into their coolers on the Buffalo River.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Incoop,
Thanks for the VERY well explained reasoning for such a cooler purchase. Fortunately for me, I now see it will do me no good. I only use a cooler for Mountain Dew and cold cuts for the day and we're in and out of it often. You just saved me any further thought of putting out that kinda $$$ for nothing.
Dang, I love the internet !!!.
Peace.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Incoop,
Thanks for the VERY well explained reasoning for such a cooler purchase. Fortunately for me, I now see it will do me no good. I only use a cooler for Mountain Dew and cold cuts for the day and we're in and out of it often. You just saved me any further thought of putting out that kinda $$$ for nothing.
Dang, I love the internet !!!.
Peace.

Cool. Glad I could light a candle rather than curse your darkness. Just don't tell the guys at Yeti or they'll make me pay for that cooler!:p If you do decide you want one they occasionally surface on CL. It's rare, but it does happen.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool. Glad I could light a candle rather than curse your darkness. Just don't tell the guys at Yeti or they'll make me pay for that cooler!:p If you do decide you want one they occasionally surface on CL. It's rare, but it does happen.

Hahahahaha,,,,,I am a CL FANATAC !!!!

I've been watching it for a few months, I'll have 1 some day.
Thanks again coop !

perry barras

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well this is the way it works if you buy 2 80lb of ice and you go out fishing all day chances are your ice will be melted or stuck together like a brick in 90 degree weather. with a 40-80 dollar ice chest which is no good and with higher end coolers in 90 degree weather your ice will still be there all day all night all weekend .. so if your at the camp and you dont have access to more ice its best to get a higher end cooler no one whats aspoiled catch ..
I'm learning guys, so please bare with me and be gentle.
If I have the same size Igloo and Yetti ( or any other high end ) I put 3 bags of ice in each and set them side by side, when the ice is water in the Igloo, how much ice is in the Yetti still ?

perry barras

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup - hard to justify the $$$ if all you use it for is day use. My 100 quart Igloo Maxcold was about $60 ;) That one you have pictured looks beefy as hell.

yeah trust me i know... it cost me my good arm .. i had a engal 50 and was alot more than this one was..