Stingray or Stingray Junior for 40hp evinrude?

Topher P

Recruit
Hey there, I've got a Lund 16D Pike with a remote 40hp twin evinrude on it. Not sure if I should get a stingray or stingray junior for it. Junior says 2-40hp, regular says 40+.

The junior just looks so small?
I thought the regular since the 40hp is the same power head as the 50 and 60 from that year (1989)?

Chris

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Stingray or Stingray Junior for 40hp evinrude?

Buy a DoelFin. Its a universal fit, costs half the price and works better.

Topher P

Recruit

Thanks but that wasn't the question I asked, I had a doel fin and didn't like it, sprayed a bit and flexed.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Thanks but that wasn't the question I asked, I had a doel fin and didn't like it, sprayed a bit and flexed.

Sorry if I evaded the original question. I assumed you had a problem and wanted to correct it. My answer was directed toward the root cause of the problem.

The larger model is the one you should buy. The Junior will be too small for your application.

Nevertheless, I'll fall into the same hole again - hope you don't get mad. If the DoelFin flexed and sprayed, I'm quite confident that the Stingray will be worse in that regard. The bigger one will flex more than the smaller one.

Trailer Boats Magazine did a "shootout" of all of the hydrofoil brands a few years ago. That was an enlightening article, plus I speak from personal experience.

Flexing and spray are due to either an improper installation, or the motor is not at the proper height on the transom.

Make sure you buy the drill and bolt on model. If you buy the clamp on model you'll have even worse luck with it.

Topher P

Recruit

Didn't meant to be rude, the doel fin was a long time ago on another boat and was a pain.
What are the advantages of the doel over the stingray?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Didn't meant to be rude, the doel fin was a long time ago on another boat and was a pain.
What are the advantages of the doel over the stingray?

Cost, size, performance, aestetics.

You can cut out a flat sheet of aluminum and do the same thing. Some are built that way. A Doel is aerodynamic and center mounted so it pushes up on the motor leg. The others cantilever over the back putting stress on the anti-vent. plate.

Look up the patents - Doel was the first and still in production. Some others are long gone.