Jet Drive vs. I/O vs. Outboard

clattin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm on the verge of acquiring my first boat and have some questions. I'm looking at used boats. I'm trading a used truck for our new boat. I grew up skiing behind a Mark Twain with a 65hp Mercury so that is my background.

What are the advantages/disadvantages or these "newer" jet drive boats (eg, Ski Doo, Yamaha, etc)? It would appear that you get more boat for your $$ than for a traditional I/O or outboard boat. I don't know anything about this drive type. If there is some good info on the net that answers this question, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Chris

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Re: Jet Drive vs. I/O vs. Outboard

Jet drives have some advantages over traditional drives. They will run in shallower waters, are safer, no exposed propeller. But are harder to maneuver in tight spaces and you lose some horsepower efficency, meaning poorer fuel mileage. Boating magazine back a few months ago had a good side by side comparison. You might try to find that article.

haulnazz15

Captain

Where do you boat, what activities do you plan on doing, and how many people will you normally be taking out? Need to know that kind of stuff first.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Of course this is a generalization but Jet boats will take turns tighter at speed for a more thrilling ride. Jet boats could be yanked off course while towing/towsports. Jet will likely have faster acceleration, but worse top speed, worse fuel economy, and potentially worse rough water handling. Poor low speed handling of a jet boat can be overcome with practice. I like the social swim platform type set up that the jets have given their flatter engines. I also like the shallow draft of jets. I feel like you date a jet boat but you marry an I/O.

haulnazz15

Captain

It all depends on where you boat and what you want to do. I like watersports, and have slalom'd behind an old-school jetboat (not good) and a newer twin engine jetboat (better). I don't like the feeling of the multiple wash/wakes on the dual jetboat, but the old-school Berkley pump was too easy to pull off track. As far as being the most worry-free and low-maintenance, you can't beat the jetboats. You don't hardly have to worry about the water depth, and safety is not an issue. However, fuel consumption and the generally shallow hulls don't make for good rough water performance. Jet boats also don't liked to be moored in the water for long periods of time, and tend to be more susceptible to salt water issues.

The I/O vs outboard is mainly an issue of boat size and preference on looks. It's hard to have a sunpad or a swim platform with an outboard, although a few boat designs have managed it. I/O's will continue to be the most maintenance intensive.

There is no perfect boat for every situation. You can't beat an inboard tournament boat for watersports. You can't beat a jet for shallow water operations. You can't beat an outboard for year-round operation. The I/O can't be beat for its versatility and unlimited HP applications.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If you have ever rode a jet ski, just imagine a larger version for the boat. I wouldn't buy one but my needs are different than yours. Many great replies above.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

... You can't beat a jet for shallow water operations. ...

Agree with most everything but this. We tried an outboard jet in a river here - it was a maintenance nightmare with sand prematurely eating away the impeller and housing. Solution was a tunnel boat with prop.

A well-designed tunnel and tunnel prop will allow a boat to run just as shallow as a jet. However, handling will suck because there is almost nothing below the boat hull (maybe a skeg). You need to plan your turns in advance and slide through them. If you need to go any shallower, you need an airboat.

However, for the average person, a jet will be easier to set up and drive. It takes some skill to get the most out of a good tunnel prop.

briangcc

Commander

Personal preference...I'd never own a jet. Here's why: 1. You lose the ability to steer the boat once your engine cuts out. With an outboard or I/O you still have that large lower unit in the water to nose the boat around. 2. I boat in weedy areas so the last thing I want to do is to be fishing weeds out of the intake screen.

My personal preference would be Outboard power as the whole engine can be lifted out of the water for maintenance, prop cleaning, shallow water, etc. Following behind that is I/O (which I currently own). Although I am changing my thought process now that my little one is 2 months old. I see swim parties on the boat and an outboard can't be covered over with a swim platform to protect little ones from coming in contact with the prop when they monkey around on the back of the boat. Looks like an I/O with an extended swim platform is in my future....which means cleaning weeds from my prop just became an in water experience. Ohh the joys of tradeoffs...

haulnazz15

Captain

The ability to steer without engine power is really low on my list of concerns. I don't buy a boat based on its ability to steer when the engine fails, as I don't intend for the engine to fail. Also, the weeds are usually a problem for the engine-cooling intake, not so much the intake grate. The jet pump will blow weeds right through it. If the river/lake is a rocky bottom, you definitely would want a jet boat. Personally, I don't even run my jet ski in anything less than 3' of water, nor do I beach it. I prefer the inboard for watersports, the I/O for cruising and go-fast boats, jet for the jet skis, and the O/B for bass fishing.

sawguy50

Recruit

I had a jet once. 14' Searay w/ 120 merc. Loved the boat. Pros-- easy loading and unloading, turn on a dime, shallow water running(good for rivers with submerged items). Cons-- If in a weedy area, weeds get sucked up into the intake grate leaving you with an idle only speed to get somewhere to remove weeds(hard to get under boat to remove unless on trailer) some of the newer jets have a reverse flush feature, but I don't know how well they work. Small rocks can get sucked up in the intake and actually lock the impeller, Also rocks can be "fired" out of the discharge if in shallow water(bad for skiers), hard to troll with(want's to "hunt" back and forth at slow speed).All in all a great boat depending on your needs. I now have an outboard, but am always leary going fast especially on a new body of water(rock piles etc) because of lower unit being so far in the water. I would still like to own one again, along with my outboard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you need to define your use of the boat. many people boat for many reasons and have a variety of boats that they prefer.

here is my observations, based on growing up with outboards:

if you do light water sports, a bunch of fishing, and a bit of cruising - outboard
if you do heavy water sports, a little bit if fishing, a bunch of cruising, and like to raft up to other boats - I/O with swim platform (and a head helps)
if you like to go fast, burning fuel, dont do much fishing, and only a bit of tubing - a small jet boat
if you like to go skiing, a bit of cruising - a dedicated inboard ski boat

the best would be one of each.

jkust

Rear Admiral

All the above said whenever I see a modern jet say a 22 footer, I'm impressed by their presence.

kmcampbe

Recruit

I test drove a 2012 Yamaha 24' jet boat earlier this summer, the layout of the boat is great, but to me it rode exactly like a jet ski does, which is what I wanted to get away from. Which is why i opted for a i/o. I highly recommend that you test drive one before you pull the trigger on it.

Kelly

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

here is my observations, based on growing up with outboards:

if you do light water sports, a bunch of fishing, and a bit of cruising - outboard
if you do heavy water sports, a little bit if fishing, a bunch of cruising, and like to raft up to other boats - I/O with swim platform (and a head helps)
if you like to go fast, burning fuel, dont do much fishing, and only a bit of tubing - a small jet boat
if you like to go skiing, a bit of cruising - a dedicated inboard ski boat

Having owned all of those over the years, and currently owning a jet and outboard, I can say you are exactly 100% on!! Although modern jets aren't really that bad on fuel if you back off on the throttle. In a day of cruising I can go through more gas on my 60 horse pontoon than on my v6 merc jet boat, all depends on how you drive.

Thalasso

Commander

Having owned all of those over the years, and currently owning a jet and outboard, I can say you are exactly 100% on!! Although modern jets aren't really that bad on fuel if you back off on the throttle. In a day of cruising I can go through more gas on my 60 horse pontoon than on my v6 merc jet boat, all depends on how you drive.

:facepalm::facepalm:Isn't that pretty much with anything?

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the comments so far are right on. We currently enjoy our second jet boat. Our first (a 1995) was severely underpowered, gulped gas, and became a maintenance nightmare. I traded it in on our second, and we love it. It is still small (15.5') but very powerful. I've not had the guts to push it over 60 mph (although I've had it to that a couple times). Normally we cruise 20 - 40 mph -- or cut the engine and drift on the lake. Ours is a SeaDoo with a supercharged 215 hp engine, not duals. I've never had it on Big Water (e.g. Lake Michigan) but if I have the time and the day is *very* calm, I just might.

I feel it's true that we got a lot more boat than if we'd gotten one with a prop, but it's really what your personal preference and what's available when you look.

Why a jet? While this is extremely rare, a week ago we were on the lake and saw some emergency equipment on the road around the shore. Turns out a lady got sucked into a prop and lost her leg -- the idiot driving the boat had put it into reverse! Now with a sane driver, that never would have happened, but with a jet she would have recovered from bruises and a lot of soreness, but she'd be able to walk.