Mold/mildew buildup on exterior. How to stop and remove

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone, I have an 88 sun runner weekender and lately it has been building up with mold/ mildew all along the stern of the boat. I already cleaned it up once with bleach, but it's back again. What is causing the growth and how do I stop it? Thanks in advance.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mold/mildew buildup on exterior. How to stop and remove

If it's covered, that's the problem.

Can you park/dock it with the stern toward the sun?

How about a little more specific? I get scum all up my transom above the waterline, because when I run on a plane, it doesn't wash off. Is that your situation?

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its not covered. Open Air. It hasn't been in the water since I bought it a year ago. The buildup is almost everywhere on the boat, but mainly at the stern. Ill take some pictures today so you can see what I am talking about.

Mi duckdown

Commander

You may want to google mold/ bleach. quite eye opening. spores?

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems like its spores. I was recommended spray nine

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anyone else have an idea

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

it looks like your fiberglass has not been waxed in a while. the mold spores are in the oxidized fiberglass surface.

my first suggestion is a mildewcide or bleach, then a buff and cut, then a good wax

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are a few different mildew preventers that could be worth trying after you get the existing stuff removed.

3M makes a product that works although it isn't a true 'mildewcide' like others...but works in different ways to stop it from adhearing.

But yes with how oxidized and textured that finish is it stays wet longer...and gives lots of surface area for stuff to live. Get it smooth...and problem solved! See recent thread about sanding, polishing, and waxing - the pictures might motivate you.

not in the water since you got it?!?! poor girl! maybe a little lake/ocean water will cure the problem too :)

Also maybe spin the boat once in a while to get different sun exposure to dry out boat on all surfaces (especially during wet periods of teh year)

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

The paint looks oxidized. Clean it up, if you can, and wax it. Moisture is sitting in the rough texture. BoatDrinksQ5 had a good idea; spin the boat around for different exposure.

oldjeep

Admiral

If it is uncovered sitting outside for a year I would think that the stuff on the fiberglass is the least of your worries. What are the seats and floor like?

waterdowg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would try a product called Slimmy Grimmy. Come in a powder form. What I would do i make up a gallon in a pump sprayer like you would use to spray deck finish or bug spray. Use hot water from the tap to make the solution. Spray the boat and let it sit a few minutes, then hit it with a pressure washer or a garden hose if you don't have pressure washer.
If its all gone after that, use an oxidation cream to remove the oxidation, then wax and buff. Good luck,

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Starting to sound like a big job. It's been sitting because I have been redoing a lot of it. Where can I find step by step instructions for doing your recommendations?

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The deck area is also rough and there are small screw holes that I would like to cover. What product do you all recommend for that?