Difference in Saltwater Boating

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Difference in Saltwater Boating

Did you ever notice how people that boat in salt water regularly tend not to be as concerned about it as 'fresh water' boaters? :noidea:

Only everytime the subject comes up... :) but I can think of a possible reason for it. I bought a 16' Sylvan aluminum Dual Console fish n ski that I'm going to haul to Florida to use in the St. Lucie River when we're down there. At worst, the water is brackish, so I'm not very concerned about salt water corrosion. I bought it because it's the biggest boat I can tow behind my mini SUV.

However, the cleats, fittings and level of construction of this boat are definitely not to the level of the 'shore' boats I've owned. I wonder if the 'salt water is death' mantra is perpetuated by what happens to 'built for lakes' boats that wind up at the shore. I can see where they might literally disintegrate after some years of exposure. That doesn't apply to the motors AT ALL, but might explain some of the fear.

Just a thought...

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you ever notice how people that boat in salt water regularly tend not to be as concerned about it as 'fresh water' boaters?

....and what I don't quiet get is how folks are concerned with putting their older $10,000 boat in salt water when there are $1, 5, 10+ million dollar boats all over the world in salt water.....only.

Don't think there are too many 100 foot mega-yachts roaming around in most lakes in the country.

Mark

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, ours is a built-for-lakes toon that has been here in saltwater for who-knows-how long. We had a local guy go through it and he said all the wiring, cables, etc., were salt-water toast. So he replaced all of it.

As far as remote flushing, necessity is the mother of invention, and I came up with a way of doing it. I even flushed a gallon of fresh water through it while we were out at Stump Pass with a hundred other boats today, cuz it looked like it wasn't peeing very good. I now will be flushing it with 6 gallons of fresh water every time we come in.

Plus, I don't have to bother the old fart who guards the "locked" (but not very well) fresh water faucet at the adjacent "community" dock. That's worth the price of admission.

We have been having a most excellent winter on Lemon Bay.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

We have been having a most excellent winter on Lemon Bay.
Ehh, its been okay. Cept for the stinking red tide that stuck around forever. Good news is 170 Manatee deaths have been attributed to the red tide & not us evil boaters ...

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

We haven't had Red Tide in Lemon Bay for awhile. Seems like back in January.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

We haven't had Red Tide in Lemon Bay for awhile. Seems like back in January.
My bad. I thought you were talking about Lemon Bay in Englewood, FL. Where we've had a nagging red tide since September. Albeit a lil offshore most of the time.

Lurking off of Ft Myers now so I'm told, but don't hold your breath. It could be back here in a heartbeat.

Imo I think some folks from up north sometimes mistake the stench of rotting fish, for 'fresh salty air' ...?

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

My bad. I thought you were talking about Lemon Bay in Englewood, FL. ...?

I was. I can't remember the last time we saw dead fish, smelled RT, or had trouble breathing. Certainly not in the last month.

It was strong in January. We had a guest from our place up north staying in a condo I got for them on Manasota Key. She had to leave early because she could not handle the respiratory problems associated with Red Tide.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'm a little late to the party, but I rent toons when I?m in the keys and they work fine for most conditions. I?ve spent more than enough time in rough seas while fishing that I don?t care go out for pleasure in nasty conditions. They don't work well for testosterone fuel egos, but for the rest of us they make a very enjoyable and comfortable platform.

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only concern that comes to mind with a toon is that they tend to flip easy in high winds. When I lived on a lake in PA I saw several go over in sudden storms that popped up. Having spent time in FL, I could see having issues with a sudden thunderstorm if your not careful.

If you do some research on aluminum and various aluminum alloys, most withstand salt very well, its the presence of other type of metal that create issues. The best thing you can do for an aluminum boat or motor is make sure you have enough and the correct sacrificial anodes installed.

I've been boating seasonally in FL for 10 years, I've not once had an issue with a gator, but have seen many manatees hit and more than once have had to crawl through the river or canals to avoid hitting them.

There are proper coatings that will protect your toons, look into something called Sharkhide. Its not an anti-fouling coating but it will help protect your hulls and polished aluminum.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like most of the boats in the pictures and vid clips are almost "all" raised out of the water. The exception was the pontoon ally shot.
Seems both are OK, just that one requires some extra work, as well as caution when on the big water. These choices are good problems to have, enjoy what ever you decide to do.

PS I also noticed not one boat sitting in the water on your canal, they were all raised up on hoist's there too.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

PS I also noticed not one boat sitting in the water on your canal, they were all raised up on hoist's there too.

In the creek the canal goes to there are toons not on lifts. Our canal is narrow and silted, so low tide is problematic.

We found a slip on another nearby creek, and it's sitting there now, in the water. There is a small neighborhood marina there and all the boats are in the water.

lear and faust, englewood, FL - Google Maps

So, some are and some aren't.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since it's here already, I saw the POR-15 stuff when I did a google search. Is it available in Spray, and can you get it at Home Depot, Lowe's, or True Value?

Thanks.

Here's some things about POR-15.

It does not come in spray, but there are instructions on how to use it as a spray.

Things you wouldn't think about:

The instructions say to use a piece of plastic wrap when you put the lid back on, or, better yet, transfer the contents to a plastic or glass container. That's because it has such a great bonding affect with metal, that if you just put the lid on the can, with that little bit of dribble all "paints" leave in the lid crevice, it will be permanently sealed.

I bet the folks who don't read the instructions have a rude awakening.

It also says not to get it on your hands or skin, for the same reason, that you will be wearing it for quite awhile. "Until natural oil remove it." !!! So I used those hygienic vinyl gloves like food servers wear. However, I will be wearing quite a few drops on my legs for awhile.

Along the same lines, since I was sitting on the ground, treating the joists of our pontoon, Marge the Party Barge, with insufficient head clearance, I wound up wearing some in my hair. That's what scissors are for.

I did manage to get some it on the joists, and, oh yeah, the transom. It says to do at least two coats, so I'm saving that for another day.

I sure wish there were some smilies to use. :)

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Fwiw salt water does & will f up yer motor eventually. You should always flush with freshwater at least. Lotta folks down her use 'Salt Away', etc. Which probly doesn't hurt.

But the old timers swear by vinegar. No bs. I'm told it contains some kind of natural enzyme that neutralizes the salt.

saumon

Lieutenant

Originally Posted by tablerockboater

Yeah, that happens when it is hot and humid and I spend too much time on my golf cart seat!!! Got some right now.

Huh?? Say what? :facepalm:

x2. I always thought golfing and boating were mutually exclusives!

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have concluded that where space is a concern, like on narrow canals and creeks, boats are on lifts out of the way. Where blocking other boats is not a problem, like in the little neighborhood marinas, boats are in the water.

After a month in the water, our toons had a little slime and a few "barnacles", both of which cleaned right up at the car wash.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, that happens when it is hot and humid and I spend too much time on my golf cart seat!!! Got some right now!!!

Back to POR-15, I have decided it would be "prudent" (for George The First fans) to do all of the metal supporting structure of our pontoon, the floor joists, the transom, etc. The toons already have a protective paint which appears to be doing a fine job.

So, I have found there are a few products appearing to make the same claims as POR-15 that are available through retail outlets in SW FL. But, none of them have the overwhelming backing of the marine, auto body, and auto restoration folks the POR-15 has.

So, it looks like the logical decision is to order some POR-15 online and get to work. The only question is to whether it will take a quart at about $50, or a gallon at whatever that will be.

In some things, decision is not all that hard to arrive at, and in this case there only appears to be one product for the job, and no easy way to do it, something that shoulda been done long ago.

Yeah, I have used POR-15 on the floor joists and transom the last two years, but I still need to replace some of the floor joists. I have contacted Godfrey (Sweetwater) and they said they would not still have any original parts from '97.

Anyone know where I can get some replacement floor joists?

Thanks,