Difference in Saltwater Boating

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
We have been boating on a freshwater lake for many years.

Recently we bought a Florida home. It's on a small canal, off a creek, which runs a couple miles into Lemon Bay, on the Gulf, in Englewood, FL.

We plan on getting a small pontoon boat. It will likely stay in the water (not on a lift) while we are there, say 6 months at a time.

What do we need to know, or do, different?

Thanks.

EDIT: Posting such personal info is a very bad idea, trb. So bad it is forbidden here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Expidia

Commander
Re: Difference in Saltwater Boating

First thing I would do is not post your exact address like you just did in that link. And then say you will only be at that address 6 months of the year basically leaving the boat and your home unattended? Florida has a very high crime rate and especially high for boats.

Just saying . . .

kfa4303

Banned

+1 :/ "What do we need to know, or do, different?" a lot. There are boats galore down here and even large bodies of water can get crowded quickly. There are also channel markers, bouys, submerged objects, oyster bars, manatees, alligators, sharks, and other snowbirds to be mindful of as well. Not to mention the wind, tides and weather. I would strongly suggest taking a basic boater safety course. As far as the boat itself is concerned, you don't really need to do much of anything differently. You will want to add some sacrificial Zinc anodes the the lower unit of your motor and boat. You will also need to flush the motor thoroughly with fresh water after every use as well as hosing down the boat and after every use as well. Be sure to only use Stainless Steel hardware for all of your fittings and fasteners. Most of the critters down here are bigger than you and can bite back. It's fun and keeps you on your toes, but do be mindful of them. don't freak out i you have an alligator or two on your lawn at times. They were here first. Also, learn to swim. It boggles my mind that anyone would live here, or go on a boat and not know how to already, but you'd be amazed. Oh, and be sure to leave lots of those Yankee dollars behind when you visit ;)

Welcome to Florida! (Bienvenidos a la Florida)!

Some things to look forward to.....

manatee1.jpgsharks_florida.jpgbig gator.jpgWacissa-Springs_web.jpgst. marks.jpg

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

When you get there head for the nearest marina and look up the dockmaster. He should give you the latest and most important ifo specific to your area. For example underwater growth and barnacles can vary widely from place to place in Florida.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I thought about that . . . . . . but the crooks don't know the nieghbors, and their dogs, I have watching the place. Not only crooks, but crazy pysho cyber-stalkers . . . who make crooks look like nothing.

But I totally agree and musta been having a senor moment.

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Y'all forgot to mention the iguanas! As the creek gets farther inland, it gets fresh-watery, and gatory.

I/we have taken the Coast Guard Boating Safety Course.

I have boated in shallows bays, through channels, and have watched folks cut the corners, then jump out and try to free their boat.

As far as flushing with freshwater after each use, that's the sorta thing I thought might needed to be done. And wasking everything off. We have a faucet and hose back there by the canal. Can you do that if the boat/motor stays in the water?

Can funky things funk up the boat, engine, whatever, in 6 months?

emoney

Commander

I imagine you'll be making arrangements to pull the boat when you're not down here? Download a "tide chart app" (assuming you have a smart phone & if not, put one on computer) and refer to it when planning your trips out and get a good Marine Weather Radio and believe what they say, lol. If it looks dark over the coast while you're on the water, you've waited too long to head in. Take the flushing advice to heart because everything you've heard about the corrosiveness of salt water and salt water enviroments was just barely getting the message across. Don't leave anything outside that you care about keeping and get a boat cover, or you'll be replacing cushions a lot more frequently than you'll care for. Outside of that, enjoy our beautiful state because it's an outdoorsman's paradise. Oh, and lastly, buy and use sunscreen because they don't call us the Sunshine state for nothing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you will need antifouling paint on the hulls. Ask the locals for the best kind for that area, and be sure to get one that works on (or does not react to) aluminum.

You do not have to flush the motor and/or wash the boat after every trip. But it's not a bad idea. After all you can't flush a boat in the water. Washing off the boat is more important.

If the fittings on the boat are not made for the salt environment they will show it. Although rinsing off helps, it's the salt air that will get you no matter what you do. If that becomes a problem you will eventually replace the boat. I'm sure there are lots of pontoon owners, maybe even local clubs or local internet forums, where you can get better info and advice than here.

In some tidal waters, due to currents, 'toons can be difficult to operate, but you still see them around. Also get some good polarized sunglasses and learn how to read the bottoms.

Expidia

Commander

Another thought of mine if my boat was docked in a canal. I'd invest in a prop lock nut. A lot cheaper than a new prop.
Also, if you peruse other boating sites like the ones that cater more towards small salt water boats you will see especially in FL boaters walk out to their boat and find their entire lower unit missing.
They also make a lockable nut to protect the lower unit.

Not trying to put a damper you're good times in FL for boating, but FL has a different set circumstances with regard to the trafficking of stolen boats and parts.

Sadly, we live in a different world. In Boston where I grew up I never owned a set of house keys because we never locked our back door!
Think I could still do the same today?

True, If they going after a particular part they are going to get it anyway but locking devices at least may send them to another next rig. Make sure you have the proper insurance coverage. They just toss a steak to a barking dog while they spin off the few bolts that hold the lower unit on with a battery powered wrench! Even easier if the owner has their boat up on a hoist to keep it out of the water, like so many have on the FL canals.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The hardest thing for me was getting used to the stronger winds and currents, (docking, launching, and loading) which were pretty much non existent on some inland lakes.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Pontoon boats are not suitable for rough water. I would observe the conditions in the area you plan to boat, on typical afternoons. On the bay I live on, we get 1-2 footers most afternoons. Whereas they are no match for my 21 foot monohull, a 'toon would be real uncomfortable, likely awash for some of the waves. Not sure I would like to be in the Gulf of Mexico in a 'toon. Deck boats are nice, similar to 'toons and are much more seaworthy.

Aluminum boats need special prep and special antifouling paint. You might check on availability as I know they are always outlawing antifouling paints.....If the creek is freshwater, it may not be an issue.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would re-think a toon in the gulf. a Deck Boat would be my first choice

unless the creek has a lock, its brackish water, which is a bit better than salt water as far as corrosion, however it has issues too.

Welcome to Florida

tablerockboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

FWIW, there are lots of pontoons on nthe canals and creek in the area. None that I've seen have protective paint. Most putt up and down the canals and creek, or out into the Bay. The bay is somewhat protected and we would only go out on the nicest days, and not far.

As we are the last property on our canals, and it is silted up, we consult the tide chart just to take the canoe out. If we get a pontoon, I will do something with the silt, to give us at least a foot of water.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Well lemme put it this way: The water in this part of SW FL, Lemon Bay included, is some of the saltiest on the planet. If you plan on leaving any kinda boat in the drink here for 6 mos at a time ya better have some goddam good bottom paint.

Btw I'd recommend against personally messing with your silt. Less'n ya have prior approval from the authorities that is ...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree about rethinking a pontoon; i thought you already had one. Get a carolina skiff, bay runner or skimmer--a flat bottom flats boat. Just because lots of neighbors have pontoons doesn't mean its a good idea or they know what they are doing; they may have just moved there from some lake somewhere.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The vigorousness of marine growth is based upon temperature and salinity of the water. Warmer full salt water has the most marine growth. I would think a shallow bay in Florida would qualify as one of the most aggressive marine growth areas. Look for the best antifouling paint. The best used to be proportional to the amount of copper it contained. Since slime blockers have been added to paint, the best paint may not be the one with the most copper anymore. It would be smart to figure out what is best of the current formulations.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

do not put copper based paint on the bottom of an aluminum pontoon boat. you may as well start shooting holes in the tubes before you hit the water.

copper based bottom paint and salt water means you just created a galvanic battery and it will destroy the aluminum tubes in very very short time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Scott, There is copper-based antifouling paint designed for aluminum boats. One such product is Trilux 33. Trilux 33 has a different chemical formulation for the copper, but can be 25% concentration. Trilux 33 requires certain preparatory steps to protect the aluminum, prior to it's application. I have used it on MerCruiser outdrives and it works fine. How effective it will be in the warmer waters of Fla, is a different story.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Being a trailer sailor I rarely have a problem with bottom growth. On the boat I mean ...

But I'll tell ya it don't take very long for the crud to start creepin. My lil bros Stingray was in the water for a few days whilst his trailer was being repaired. Had a healthy fledgling crop of green goo germinating on the bottom when we pulled it out. And this is a super clean freshly waxed boat?!

Even with what they pass off as bottom paint nowadays, I'd think long and hard about leaving a boat in the water for any extended period of time.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Even with what they pass off as bottom paint nowadays, I'd think long and hard about leaving a boat in the water for any extended period of time.

Aside from good anti-fouling paint (it's a must) you should really plan on getting the boat out of the water every couple of months to wash and scrape the growth off it. I know that boat lifts are popular down there, and it might be worth having one installed. Or, you can have a local marina do a periodic 'short haul' for you to clean things up. In any event, I would not plan on keeping the boat splashed continuously for 6 months- everything below the waterline will be a mess.

My .02