• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a 20 plus ft fishing boat less than 20,000 USED

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a 20 plus ft fishing boat less than 20,000 USED

Can anyone point me in a good direction? Im looking for something to go 20 miles offshore in decent weather. Thanks!

-Randy B

Re: Looking for a 20 plus ft fishing boat less than 20,000 USED

Welcome to iboats!

A lot depends on off of which shore you want go, but I think you're going to want to go at least 25'. Bad weather can come up one you really quickly.

A huge part of the equation is the experience and skill of the skipper.
    Bob
    Orange County, NY
    '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
    Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
    Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

I know here in Central Florida Craigslist is full of some low priced 22+ foot off shore fishing machines ready to go well within your price range. Shop smart and in this economy you can get a steal!
      1978 Angler Center Console Custom Restoration

I really love that she loves the hole in the water that we throw money into as much as I do!

Comment

Well im pretty skilled.I hold a 1600 gt offshore as well as a Master of towing vessels license. Im in love with the proline 23sport which is 24 ft, and i really like this 22 ft wellcraft but it has a 2001 Evinrude 175 FICT that is scaring the crap out of me due to some research on the internet.

Comment

Im in Jax Fl. Ive been searching within 250 miles ive sent a lot of emails going to hit the phone tomorrow.

Comment

http://m.boattrader.com/find/listing/323961

Theres 2 pro lines im looking into one has a yammy 225 efi 2 stroke 2003
            Other has a 2003 efi merc 225xxl salt

Comment

around here the 21' CC with a 150 is a popular rig for that but you have to pick your days. If you get caught in bad weather (of the type one is typically caught in) you will be safe. People take them out in the ocean but also in the Bay you are easily 10-20 miles from land. A 5-10 year old rig can be had for $15-18000; older ones less.

Look for an old hull of good quality with newer OB.

I can't tell from your question what you already know, what you have already narrowed down to, what you think your passenger capacity needs are. Or what your "boat condition" tolerance is. Also is this a trailer boat or slip boat? dry slip/rack? that makes a big difference.
              You can get a 32' cabin boat for less than $8000.

Carolina Skiff is the safest most durable inexpensive high-passenger capacity popular boat going but it has a rougher ride. It's all a trade-off.

So can you give us a better idea of what you are considering besides price?
              A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by stangbanger View Post

Prolines have those big wide gunwales and excellant design. A friend takes her 21' off shore all the time in the mid-Atlantic

Comment

The boat is fine. I don't like either of the motors. Both are gas hogs. I would hold out for DFI at a min, 4 stroke would be ideal
                  Grady White 226
                  200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                  Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                  Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                  ICOM M504A VHF
                  Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Duh....... this is iboats!! http://boats.iboats.com/
                    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                    Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Im stuck on a 2003 pro line 23s with a yamaha 225 efi with 114 hours. Boat is really clean and motor low hours. No electronics is the only knock. Listed at 21500. With 2 axle trailer

Comment

sounds good

Comment

As an above poster mentioned the fuel consumption on those motors, and after some research wow! I guess im starting at ground zero looking for an opti or 4 stroke! I cant seem to find many Pro lines with that setup. I thought i had it all figured out oh well.

If i went with a 21 ft proline with a 150 saltwarer efi. do you guys have any experience on fuel efficiency ?
                          Im open to any other suggestions on boats as well, im looking in a 300 mile spread.

Comment

Im in Jax Fl. Ive been searching within 250 miles ive sent a lot of emails going to hit the phone tomorrow.
                            Stang I am also from Jax Fl, if you have any questions let me know. We have been going offshore Jax for 15+ years now. Don't let people talk you into a larger boat than you can afford, when we see many 18ft+ boats go 20 miles out here.

Comment

If i went with a 21 ft proline with a 150 saltwarer efi. do you guys have any experience on fuel efficiency ?
                              Im open to any other suggestions on boats as well, im looking in a 300 mile spread.
                              Downsizing HP isn't the answer. It takes X amount of HP to push a given boat and it takes X BTU's to generate that HP. The only way to reduce fuel consumption is to increase the efficiency of the motor or go with a lighter, smaller boat.

To give you an idea of fuel usage, I’m running a 200HP and getting 1.97 MPG at 4,300 RPM-27 kts. The same boat, running a 250HP 4 stroke is getting 2.87 MPG and a 300HP 4 stroke is getting 2.9 MPG . Granted, I'm running carbed 2 stroke but a EFi 2 stroke doesn't buy you much more
                              Grady White 226
                              200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                              Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                              Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                              ICOM M504A VHF
                              Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Working...
                              X