epoxy over original fiber glass floor??

sandollar1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello again, I wanted to know should I coat epoxy over the original floor deck, why I ask is because I took out the old carpet to install new carpet and I was cleaning the floor and seen some old fiber glass the floor is good and strong so I decide to keep it this way to add epoxy over it if I can then in stall you carpet after it drys any help would be great!! Thanks Again!! ooo one more thing will epoxy protect the floor???? :D

Cal_MI

Cadet
Re: epoxy over original fiber glass floor??

Sure, a skin coat of epoxy will protect the floor. But IMHO carpet in a boat is as useful and sanitary as a fur-lined honey pitcher. I have removed several pounds of sand per square yard from a pontoon boat carpet. And the boat I am working on now rotted because of carpet in the bilge (!!) retaining moisture.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have to agree with cal_mi, cockpit carpet is like a towel that never gets washed,and holds water causing soft spots. Maybe you could find a way to add snaps so you can take it out and hose it off after you get fish guts on it.I just bought another boat,and #2 on my list of what I wanted was a snap out carpet. I learned the hard way with my first 2 boats (had to replace the floors on both).If you have the option you may want to consider this. <br /><br /> Jim

sandollar1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply, what else could be used beside carpet? thanks again. :D

crab bait

Captain

there's more to life than pressure treated wood, caulk, an carpet..<br /><br />there's paint with a non skid sand mix.. duraliner truck bed rubberized coating..for a few examples..