2000 Caravelle 188-purchase opinions

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
A family friend is talking about partin with his Caravelle 188 with a Volvo 4.3GL. It looks clean and has a two year old engine due to a deep freeze in Texas. Caravelles appear to be nice boats but I am looking for any opinions of this hull and drive combination. What would you all consider paying?
caravelle1.jpg

caravelle.jpg

caravelleinterior.jpg

caavelleinterior2.jpg

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000 Caravelle 188-purchase opinions

The only thing that is concerning is this boat was moored for two seasons. The hull looks good but the out drive could use some paint.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: 2000 Caravelle 188-purchase opinions

I look at Caravelle as a slightly above average brand at that time. That one weighs 2500lbs so not a light build but not an ultra high end either. A high end 18 footer will be right at 3000 lbs or so and given that one has a relatively wide 8 foot beam for the time the weight is a bit on the light end. I look at it just from the pictures and see several glaring low points and a few high points but as it is a 2000 only a few small bowrider builders were on the cutting edge. A huge low point is the glued down carpet (which would be a deal killer for me at any price) and a high point is the hidden ladder which only is included especially at that time on premium small bowriders. I see several other lows and highs. What I like about it is that with all the downsides I see it still looks more contemporary than a 2000. I'd only ever consider a boat that was in near perfect condition so for me it is expected that the interior is pristine and that the engine runs perfect and this one from the pictures and new engine seems to meet those criteria. That boat in my MN market, I'd consider up to $8,000 especially as this time of year boats go for a premium.