Cheaper alternative to Bennett trim tab switch?

larboc

Seaman
The joystick TT switch on my cruisers is toast. I have a hard time swallowing $70 for a switch so I am heading down the path of putting something together. Anyone ever make their own that protects the pump? I know it's not just a couple of momentary switches.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Cheaper alternative to Bennett trim tab switch?

$70 is about what I spent to get matching switches (that matched others on the boat).

my vote would be buy the $70 switch and be back boating in a day.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Be careful you don't end up saving $20 on switches only to spend $200 on a damaged pump.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

When it comes to time and money, a "short cut" always turns out to be the most expense and time consuming.

Thalasso

Commander

The joystick TT switch on my cruisers is toast. I have a hard time swallowing $70 for a switch so I am heading down the path of putting something together. Anyone ever make their own that protects the pump? I know it's not just a couple of momentary switches.

And when that doesn't workout for you, and you ruin something you will be back asking TabMan for help.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Bennett Rocker Switches incorporate a built in lockout feature that prevents the fuse from blowing if you push one Trim Tab down at the same time you push the other one up at the same time.

While it is possible to use two double pole / double throw rockers and use jumpers to make them work with our system, it would not have that feature.

I am curious, do you know how old the Single Lever (joystick) control is? Our products last a good long time, and can assure you that the replacement will too. We warranty our switches for five years and beyond that do what it takes to back our products up no matter how old they are (unfortunately we discontinued the Single Lever control many years ago).

I know I am biased but I really recommend using a Bennett replacement for your system.

But if you do decide to use two double pole / double pole switches (rated for at least 20 amps) let me know and I will show you how to wire them.

larboc

Seaman

I appreciate the help. I don't know how old it is, the boat is a '73 cruisers Mackinac and they don't look to be factory installed but it's possible.

I was originally looking at using a couple of 5-pin relays with a normally closed pin to interrupt power to the opposite direction's power wire. Then using some (on)-off-(on) rockers. Could do it for free (power window switch and leftover relays) and an hour or so of work.

Option 2 is I think I could accomplish almost the same thing with some (on)-on-(on) rockers and loose the relays.

Option 3 and what I'll most likely go with is to use a micro controller, probably an Arduino. I should need 4-relays, 2 of them with a normally closed contact just for the motor's safety in case of a software bug, 4 transistors to drive the relays, and some other small componentry. I can use a waterproof membrane keypad to control the tabs.

The next step would be to add a 3 axis accelerometer to feed the controller boat attitude data. It could filter the data and actuate the trim tabs accordingly.

The next next step would be to bring in NMEA data from a GPS antenna to give speed and reference a table to get to a better trim tab position sooner based on a table and to use the derivative^2 of instantaneous position to "level" out the accelerometer's reading.

It would be easy to scroll ride angle data and GPS info across an LCD screen.

I think for any auto trimming work I would have to figure out a way to get some kind of position feedback from the tabs to avoid over extension/retracting which seems tough given the environment these things operate in.

Aside from the position feedback from the cylinders, I think I could put this together with new components and the accelerometer and maybe a GPS antenna for less than the cost of the "correct" switch in a few evenings. I could use the same controller in the future to hold a heading for the kicker motor too.

I've done more complicated projects like this at work and at home and I'm not too afraid of over complicating a non-critical item like this, I think it will be worth the little bit of extra work.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Wow,

You could do those things. We do make an Auto Tab Control that uses a three axis accelerometer to keep the boat running at the optimum angle. http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=167 It does not use feedback from the Trim Tab position, we do make sensors for that to display their position http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/indicators.php?cID=2, but with the Auto Tab Control we let the system "time out" after a certain amount of attempted corrections if the boat does not change attitude. That's about all I can tell you since it's a proprietary system :)

From what you posted I am sure you can figure out the function of the wire harness and how to wire it, but if you have any questions let me know.

I look forward to seeing what you develop!