installing pedestal into fiberglass boat

bryancito

Cadet
hey, i just bought a boat seat and a 12' pedestal. I want to know the best way to attach my pedestal to my fiberglass boat. I feel like screwing it in wouldn't be able to withstand the torque of my spinning, so i bought bolts instead.

I should also mention that on the bow of my fishing boat there is a box shaped part. what i mean is that i wouldn't be mounting it directly onto the floor, but instead i was planning on cutting a small hold on the side of the "box" in order to fit my hand and a wrench in to tighten up the bolts.

thanks! let me know!

bryancito

Cadet
Re: installing pedestal into fiberglass boat

i just screwed the baseplate into my boat. its made of 3/4" plywood and 1'4 fiberglass coating.

if the pedestal rips off, then ill use the butterfly clips since they require a larger diameter hole anyways.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Make sure your penetrations are sealed well, putting holes in a fiberglass deck is one of the the main causes of deck rot!

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I used screws one time. When it came loose I went over the side backward,no problem there 'cause it was a warm day,but ruined my cell phone in my pocket.

bryancito

Cadet

i guess i better upgrade to T bolts soon then!