moving a seat - how to seal the base?

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I have a 16' 1991 Starcraft Fishmaster that has the strangest seating configuration (not original deck). I am going to be moving the location of one seat so that it is next to the driver seat. To do this I purchased a new Springfield post and mount for the post.

My question is, when I cut the holes in the deck (I know...carefully) and put the new base in should I be using something like a gasket or anything to keep any water from entering the holes? I know I should seal the holes, I'm not talking about preventing wood damage I am more thinking that I assume there is foam under the deck and won't adding the seat base allow water to get to the foam?

BTW, this is a temporary mounting of the seat as I will be re-doing my deck after this boating season....but even then I will need to know this information.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: moving a seat - how to seal the base?

Bump....
Has anybody ever installed a pedestal seat base?

I'm wondering if you need to use anything to prevent water from getting into the holes? I know i would seal the holes to stop the wood from rotting but there is foam under where the seat is so any water that gets in there will saturate the foam.

What have you guys done?

Thanks,
Mark

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Nah, mine are unsealed and came that way from the factory... as a matter of fact there's a hole in the center of my base where the pedestal goes so it can drain water and you don't have a little cup of water standing in your unused seat bases.
DSC02212.jpg

Contrary to what some folks believe, expanding foam isn't like a sponge and suck up water immediately. It has to be constant and prolonged exposure to saturate expanding foam.

At the very least keep your boat stored with the bow up and the bilge plug pulled and you won't have foam problems. Keeping your boat covered will be even better, and keeping it garaged is best. I just keep mine covered outside and it's fine and has been for the last 14 years.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

3M 4200 - not 5200 as you could never move it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

3M 4200 - not 5200 as you could never move it.

+1 otherwise you will need a chisel to remove them in the future ;)

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent info. Thanks a lot guys.

-Mark

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Your sealing the holes not the the whole base. Just put some in each hole.

flowage

Recruit
I need to add 2 seats to my 1985 crestliner Nordic 18 ft. Do I have to go on the plactis cover plates between driver and bench seat or can I move forward more to give the same room between the bench an driver seat same on passenger side thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Flowage welcome to Iboats... Please take a few minutes to read our rules and please start a new topic about your question so we can help you.