Dual helm hydraulic steering

jl_photo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My father has a 1998 Brunswick 33' with dual control stations. The flybridge steering unit began to leak significantly while underway and was barely able to get back to the dock.

he began working on the unit and removed one of several components from the rear. He was just diagnosed with a brain tumor and will not be able to complete the repair.

I am hoping one of you can assist me in completing this so that my father can enjoy his boat.

I am posting this in the diesel engine section because the other forums seem to deal only with small boats, and many diesel boats have dual helm hydraulic steering.

Thanks

John

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dual helm hydraulic steering

I'm going to move this to the Boat topics forum. Hydraulic steering has nothing to do with engine type, even smaller gas powered boats with a flybridge have hydraulic steering. The first thing you need to do is tell us what type of hydraulic helms you have. If you aren't sure, post a picture of the helm pump.

wi4x4man

Seaman

What type of hydraulic steering system does it have? Does he have a autopilot system on board? The way that most of these steering systems work is actually pretty simple. But need to know more about it.

If it is the type I am thinking it is, somewhere in the boat there will be a reservoir (about the size of a coffee can) with a pressure gage on it, a few sight glasses on the side, and a block on the bottom where the hoses go into. Are there three hoses that go to each station on the boat? Can you verify?

jl_photo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got the brand and model. It is a the unit is a Hynautic model H 50.

We have ordered a parts kit that should include a parts diagram but I am hoping to find some information about bleeding the system and any other procedures for rebuilding the pump.

we do have an air pump for re-presurizing the system but I don't know when we should do that. i assume I will have to add oil several times to the reservoir.

Thanks

John