• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying and Restoring a Cuddy

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying and Restoring a Cuddy

I am looking to buy a cuddy to restore. I've found one cuddy that is basically just the hull with the interior laid out on the side due to a rotten floor for around $900. My question is, how much money would I end up putting into a boat to restore it? And before someone says "just buy a boat that doesn't need restoration," I actually would enjoy restoring it because I'd be able (to an extent) design everything my way.

With that being said, my next question is this: since it's gutted, would I pretty much have control over how I design it as long as I keep it balanced?

Re: Buying and Restoring a Cuddy

If you are restoring to use the boat for at least a couple of years, then go ahead. Understand though the restoration costs are not fixed and you will get what you pay for. However restorations usually cost more than the boat is worth. Also understand that you will NOT recover the cost of restoration when you do go to sell the boat. Restore it strictly for the pleasure you will have in using it.

Comment

Yeah, I have no interest in reselling it. This is for my own personal use. I basically want to take an older boat and make it look new over the next year or two. A picture of the boat I am considering is: http://images.craigslist.org/5Ed5H35...6e934c1ba8.jpg

Comment

I can see many thousands of dollars and multiple years of work. What is it powered with? What year is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ricohman View Post
          I can see many thousands of dollars and multiple years of work. What is it powered with? What year is it?
          A 350 Mercruiser engine and it's an 88.

Comment

Are you sure that's not an earlier 80s Wellcraft, 25'? I've never seen one like that, but that hull shape looks just like the 255 Suncruisers!

As far as restoring it and how much, I think that's open ended. Depends if it needs stringers, transom, motor work, etc...
            Boat: 1987 29' Cruisers Inc 297 Elegante. T/270 Crusaders. (SOLD)
            Boat #2: 1984 34' Silverton 34C. T/270 Crusaders. Westerbeke Gen.
            Updating Thread: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...vy-534493.html
            Race Car: 1989 Mustang LX 5.0. 12.5 on slicks, 12.9 on street tires.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 25thmustang View Post
              Are you sure that's not an earlier 80s Wellcraft, 25'? I've never seen one like that, but that hull shape looks just like the 255 Suncruisers!

As far as restoring it and how much, I think that's open ended. Depends if it needs stringers, transom, motor work, etc...
              I'm not too sure. I just want a cheap 25' boat to restore and it's hard as crap to find large boats. I don't care if it doesn't have an engine or anything because that's something I can buy down the line (I am aware of their costs). Is there anything besides craigslist that can help me find a large boat for cheap?

Comment

That is maybe more of a "pocket" cruiser than a Cuddy, but no matter really as it will give a good experience for what you want.
                1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy Volvo Penta 570/DP
                1980 Glastron SSV167 90HP Mariner

Comment

I don't know what to call it. Like, I want something with a larger interior than a cuddy. You know your typical cuddy is the hollow-out in the front of the boat that typically is used to store things and sit down. But I'm looking for a boat with a larger interior than that (like an actual living space)... what would those be called?

Comment

Shorter narrow ones that sit tall with the larger cabin and smaller cockpit are Pocket Cruisers. Could also be called Day Cruisers. The one in the pic looks like it has a nice cabin below and a higher helm. It could be either one, or just Cabin Cruiser. I think the size would be more likely to be called the Day Cruiser nowadays. I called them Cabin Cruisers when I was a boy, when all boats like that were "huge".
                    1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy Volvo Penta 570/DP
                    1980 Glastron SSV167 90HP Mariner

Comment

Would it be realistic to look for a hull (without engine) for less than $2k on something that large? I am 100% interested in a restoration so I have very little interest in whether or not the boat comes with an engine or in perfect condition.

Comment

Working...
                      X