1972 Thundercraft

tailwheel234

Cadet
Re: 1972 Thundercraft

Well... thought I would give you all a quick update on the 72 Thundercraft......

Took it yesterday to a outboard tech..... have a few things to get repaired on the motor...
1. Found a slight variation on the compression amongst the cylinders (top:120lbs, mid:109lbs, lower:95lbs)
2. Waterpump appears to not be working
3. Leaking gasket (inner) on waterjacket

So..... the guy I took it to didn't want to commit to doing the repair because of the electric shift parts int he lower unit and he wast too familiar with them. I then took it to a nearby repair shop he recommended and scheduled a time in a little over a week for them to do the work. They too were skeptical of pulling the lower unit of it to replace the water pump because of the electric shift cable. So, they are going to attempt that repair first in case they accidentally damage the shifting mech in the process then they will stop there. If that goes well then they will pull the water jacket on the side and put new gaskets on it. Estimate is around $250, so if all goes well I won't be too far into the boat.

As far as cleaning it up.... I finally got that lower plug out. Took a pipe wrench and getting brave to tug on it really hard.... bad news is that about 3-5 gallons of water ran out.... didn't see anything mercy about it, just water stained red with small fibers of the floor carpet in it. Then shot a little water back up in there with the hose and "sloshed" it some by raising and lowering the bow, then let it drain completely and it ran clear. I am now leaving both plugs out with the boat sitting outside to dry. So hopefully the lower bilge area is safe.

I gotta say, progress on getting the detailing of the boat clean is going slow with temps here in KY hovering around 100 degrees through the days. I did wash it down as best as I could with soap and water and got a lot of the algae and gunk off of things, but still have a lot of stains where spots of birs***** was on it. Will tackle that after I get the motor in running shape.

Do have one question... I have to get a battery for the boat... do I need a deep cycle or just standard marine starting battery for it? All the battery will do is start the outboard, run an AM/AM radio onboard, lights and horn. Thoughts??

Thanks!!

NYBo

Admiral

Get a combination starting/deep cycle battery. Like it sounds, it a compromise between the two types.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

not trying to hijack the thread, but whats the difference between an electric shift and not? I just bought a 88 thundercraft w/89 evinrude outboard, and I've never heard of the difference.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

not trying to hijack the thread, but whats the difference between an electric shift and not? I just bought a 88 thundercraft w/89 evinrude outboard, and I've never heard of the difference.

1972 and earlier larger OMC outboards had electric shift lower units. There were solenoids that did the shifting. It was a cool system but the solenoids and the switches in the control boxes are NLA.

derick1282

Recruit

I just got my Thunder craft 152 Capri today it's got a 69 85hp Johnson hydro shift. I'm still trying to find out what year model the boat is. I'm thinking from looking at a picture of one I seen for sale online it's a 86 and I seen this thread and thought maybe having that old of a motor on it, it may be a 72 like yours but as they are similar it more closely matches the 86 if anybody knows how to find out it would be greatly appreciated because I'm stuck.

Thanks In Advance

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

the first 2 numbers of the hull id (vin) number on the transom should be the year. I have an 88 152 capri and its rated for 70hp max, you may want to look into that, not sure how much it matters though.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

the first 2 numbers in the hull id (vin) on the transom should be the year. My 88 capri 152 is rated max 70hp so you may want to look into that, although i'm not sure how much it matters.

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

the first 2 numbers in the hull id (vin) on the transom should be the year. My 88 capri 152 is rated max 70hp so you may want to look into that, although i'm not sure how much it matters.

southkogs

Staff member

I just got my Thunder craft 152 Capri today it's got a 69 85hp Johnson hydro shift. I'm still trying to find out what year model the boat is. I'm thinking from looking at a picture of one I seen for sale online it's a 86 and I seen this thread and thought maybe having that old of a motor on it, it may be a 72 like yours but as they are similar it more closely matches the 86 if anybody knows how to find out it would be greatly appreciated because I'm stuck.

Thanks In Advance
Welcome aboard! Best idea is to start a new thread of your own, and post some photos. You'll get more attention/answers that way.

If it's a '72 - there's a good chance there is no HIN on the boat. Maybe on the capacity plate there is a model number or a HIN that could help out a little. What does the title say?

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry i posted that last stuff 3 times, every time i hit reply it disappeared and wasn't there when i refreshed :facepalm:

tailwheel234

Cadet

Ok, so my Thundercraft is off at the Marine repair shop for a new water pump in the lower unit, and a new gasket in the water jacket.... and I will be honest.... I have my fingers and toes crossed that everything goes will with it! I was warned that there is a possibility of something going bad with the "important wire" that runs down to the electronics in the output area for the electric shift might be damaged in the repair process...... I hope the guys have patience!

What I am curious of is if anyone knows the specific model of my boat? All I know is that it is a 1972 model with a HIN that is all numerical. I am looking to replace some of the parts on it, such as the tach and possibly the bimini top.... but I need to know the model to make sure I get the correct fit parts. Anyone know of a resource to look up the HIN or something that will tell me?

Any thoughts??? I have pics if needed or they are up higher in this thread..

Thanks again!

tailwheel234

Cadet

Ok, soooo.... boat is out of the shop FINALLY!!!

.. I have been working on the boat almost every extra hour I have. Haven't gone through a complete rest, but a overhaul to say the least. After a lengthy time in the mechanics shop it has survived.

First took a new water pump, then exhaust manifold gaskets, then all three carbs had to be rebuilt with carb kits and new fuel line.... sooo... now that that was done, I turned to the trailer. I guess sitting in one place for 12 years or more is hard on a trailer, right!? WHo would have thought?! New tires, wheels, all bearings, recovered guide bunks and new LED lights later... its good as new but still needs stripping and paint and some new rollers on the bottom.

We have had the boat out a couple times, but nothing long term, only an hour or so at a time. Seems to be getting water in the bilge area somehow now. Not a lot, only about half a quart in the hour. I am not sure where its coming from, no hard stops or splashing turns, just gentle riding for now. I think maybe either it is leaking around the lower bunghole where the bilge plug is, or possibly a small fine hairline crack somewhere on the hull, but not sure how to locate it.

Just finishing up some rewiring this week on the inside to make the power to lights and horn more reliable, and need to replace the tach. The needle got broken somehow (guess that Evinrude is just so powerful, Haha)

Still have a few minor repairs to get the interior up and in better shape but all and all it is lake worthy finally. I did swap the existing 70's model AM/FM that is mounted in the passenger console area out for a newer CD player I had laying around. Speaker is a trusty Realistic brand mounted up under the bow and sounds decent for the 1970's!

Next I need to peel and clean the sticker area where the registration numbers are. They are baked on and the glue is a nightmare.... anyone have any quick and easy solutions for getting the gooey sticky stuff off and the surface prepped for new vinyl decals?

I will get some better IMG_1844.JPGIMG_1845.JPGpics to you in the coming days! It looks alot better now too!

Hope all is well, and happy boating!

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would definately love to see what the interior looks like. If you're interested I just put new seats in my 88 thunder, along with bimini, trolling motor, led nav lights, etc... if you want pics

southkogs

Staff member

.... anyone have any quick and easy solutions for getting the gooey sticky stuff off and the surface prepped for new vinyl decals?
You can start with some rubbing alchohol and a non-abraisive pad, then go to toilet bowl cleaner if you need to. Light use of a razor blade will do some business on that residue too.

Regarding your water in the bilge - next time out, try a different type of plug. My old boat (much like yours) did fine on the "latch" type (flip the ring handle up), but the boat I have now took a bunch of water in on that type. It seems to like the "screw" type of plug MUCH better. Maybe that's an easy fix.

Glad y'all are having fun!

tailwheel234

Cadet

I would definately love to see what the interior looks like. If you're interested I just put new seats in my 88 thunder, along with bimini, trolling motor, led nav lights, etc... if you want pics

Would love to see some pics... post here if you can?! Looking to next get the shine back on the finish and then redo the console and gauges.

tailwheel234

Cadet
Well, life has caught up with me and some projects need to go... got the Thundercraft water ready, even ran it all last season... but now it must go. You guys let me know where I should put it so that it will sell. The project worked out VERY well... bots shined up great with some fiberglas polish, and is in great reliable shape!

http://westky.craigslist.org/boa/4950240004.html

Let me know! Thanks!

roffey

Commander
I think you have it in the right place, you may get flamed for posting to and old post and asking where to sell your boat. Your not to advertise your boat here. If it were me I would let this post die and start a new one if need be.

Good luck the boat looks great.

Last edited: