Steering Conversion Manual to Hydraulic-What's required

ClassicCoke

Cadet
I'm considering making the switch over to Hydraulic steering due to recent steering cable failure (and troubles leading up to this). I'm pretty sure that my cable and 'gear box' at the helm would have to be replaced if i was to keep with the old setup type. I believe that the changeover would cost about the same either way and hear good things about the new technology.

My question is, what all is needed tool wise and skill wise to install one of these new systems? Will the below kit be all i need (aside from tools and time) to complete the job? My boat is a DC 17ft Keywest with very limited space in the gunnels, making the idea of running a new steering cable seem PAINFUL.. But with the new hydraulic systems, it appears that its just a couple of small hoses. Is this job possible for someone with moderate skills? Ball park how many hours it would take a tech to install the system?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|292323|314182|314188&id=201457

System is $540.. seems a bit lower than others online.. Anything I should look out for? Its only a 90 2 stroke on the boat

Anything else will be helpful.

Thanks,

Will

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering Conversion Manual to Hydraulic-What's required

A hydraulic system for that boat/motor is some serious overkill IMHO. A brand new complete single cable system for that boat can be had for around $120.

ClassicCoke

Cadet

Does the 120 include essentially everything needed for the install of a new cable system? I'm afraid (upon initial research, that to replace the existing system, helm parts, cable, etc, that it would cost me about the same as a hydraulic systems would).

ClassicCoke

Cadet

Wow. Thanks.

Could you ball park the time required to install either of these systems by a marine tech? Trying to get a idea of what it would cost to get professionally installed.

Thank!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sure you can't DIY? It's a really easy job IF you don't have to remove your outboard in order to feed in the steering tube. My last boat had a wide splashwell so this was not a problem but my current boat has a narrower one and I had to pull the motor.

ClassicCoke

Cadet

I have some tight corners around my transom... Would probably have to take the motor off the install new cable.... i could probably cut the old one off without removing motor. Which in my mind is another plus.

How rigid are steering cable (as far as running through gunnels and such??)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How rigid are steering cable (as far as running through gunnels and such??)

Pretty darn rigid. Doing some Googling, I'm seeing a minimum bend radius of 8". You'll want to verify that.

ClassicCoke

Cadet

Minimum radius? Do you mean max bend radius? I'm confused.

ClassicCoke

Cadet

So i guess you are steering me away from going hydraulic???. pun intended...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

LOL. If you were running 150+ HP sure, but for your 90, a regular single cable system is plenty sufficient.

ClassicCoke

Cadet

Ezmobee... I'm very grateful for you help but want to see what the rest of the group has to offer as suggestions on the subject..

How is the maintenance different between the two options mentioned?