Capacity Plate Nightmare

wminmi

Recruit
Phileepo - your closed bow looks IDENTICAL to my open bow Northport Sierra, exception being mine is of course open bow and it has the 4.3 liter V6.....been trying to dig around online to find out ANY information I can and finding very very little. Any chance you have found any info on yours?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Capacity Plate Nightmare
I'm no help on the capacity plate info, but I had a capacity plate made by Office Max/Office Depot for $10-15, brass plaque custom engraved with the boat's info. Couple coats of clear lacquer, couple of rivets and it was a done deal.

Capacity Plates have Coast Guard specified Dimensions, Font, and Colors. (Black,White Yellow)
A short excerpt from the link in Post #2

The capacity information required in Sec. 183.23 must be displayed within a Yellow area that—
Is at least 4 inches wide; and is high enough that each line of print is separated by at least 1/8 inch
from each other and from the borders of the yellow area;
The persons capacity in whole numbers must be black print with the following dimensions:

(i) The height must not be smaller than one-half inch;
(ii) The width of the numbers must be three-fifths of the height except for the number “4”, which shall be one stroke width wider, and the number “1”, which shall be one stroke in width;
(iii) The stroke width shall be one-sixth of the height; and
(iv) The minimum space between the numbers shall be one stroke width.
(3) The words in the line “XX Persons or XXX Pounds” must be at least one-quarter inch in height but not larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number and of a color contrasting with yellow. The number of pounds in this line must be at least one eighth inch in height but no larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number and of a color contrasting with yellow.

(4) All remaining words and numbers required to be within the yellow area required in paragraph (c)(1) must be at least one-eighth inch in height, but no larger than one-half the height of the persons capacity number.

On an I/O the Engine is considered as part of the Hull Weight.
An OB Motor is considered as part of the Gear and Motor Weight.
Persons and Gear are often specified independently.
The gear does not tend to all rush to one side of the boat to look at something interesting, like the persons do.

An I/O might state 8 persons or 1100#, 1300# Persons and Gear.

AN OB might state 8 persons or 1100#, 2000# Persons, Motor and Gear.

Gear includes everything that came On-Board after it left the factory that is not human.
That includes Food, Clothing, Radios, Sonar, Safety Equipment and Fuel. Everything.
That can easily add up to over 200#

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
It's been over 2 years since Phileepo has even logged on to iboats. I don't think he'll reply WM.

If you want help w/ your boat & info for it, start a Topic and post your questions. You will get as much help as is available..

BTW: After being inactive for more then 90 days, inactive Topics should be considered closed and for research only, and like library books, not to be written in....