Capacity Plate Nightmare

phileepo

Cadet
Ok, I just got a boat a couple of weeks back. Working out the kinks and getting it ready for reliable operation however, it is missing it's capacity plate. I have been in contact with the manufacturer and they are a bunch of jerks and my DNR warden says I need a plate and that I can just make one myself. Fine! I am cool with that, however since my manufacturer is being more of a hassle than I want to deal with I would like some educated guesses on what info I should put on my plate for people capacity - gear, engine, people capacity ; I know horsepower already. I was just hoping someone had a similiar sized/shaped boat that could give me some information. My boat is a 84 Sierra from a small manufacturer in WI. It has a 165 HP inline 6 mercruiser 250. The Length is 17 foot 11 inches with a beam of 7 foot 4 inches. I have attached picture for reference.boatPic.jpg I am aware of the capacity calculation of L x W / 15 but that doesnt really give me the gear load weight and 8 people in my closed bow seems excessive but I know they rate them high. I would really like to compare someone else's actual numbers.

phileepo

Cadet
Re: Capacity Plate Nightmare

Unfortunately, I have included everything I know already. It is a 1984 Sierra. The title lists no model name, nothing on the boat except the name Sierra, and the previous owner knew no name for the model. It's really been a pain to find anything out about this boat and the manufacturer has only been moderately helpful.

haulnazz15

Captain

Rate it for 8 people, it doesn't mean you have to fill it to capacity! My 20'er is rated for 10 people, but I wouldn't want more than about 6-7 in it at the most. Assuming 180lbs avg per passenger, it'd put your cap. weight at 1,440lbs. Capacity plates don't normally make the distinction between gear weight or passengers; weight is weight. So either 8 pax or 1400lbs, which ever is less.

oldjeep

Admiral

What is the Hull ID Number? Looking around it looks like sierra made a boat like that in 1985 called a 180V CLOSED BOW

phileepo

Cadet

What is the Hull ID Number? Looking around it looks like sierra made a boat like that in 1985 called a 180V CLOSED BOW

Hull ID # CRJF0101M84J
Where were you looking? Sounds like something I found on NADA but wrong year. Engine was not 100% right either.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just find a similar Sierra model, or any make of boat, copy the info, have a decal made, and call it good enough.

Do the best you can with the info available.

How is anyone ever going to know if you are off by 50#.

How about 1150# or 7 people. There, done.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just find a similar Sierra model, or any make of boat, copy the info, have a decal made, and call it good enough.

Do the best you can with the info available.

How is anyone ever going to know if you are off by 50#.

How about 1150# or 7 people. There, done.
Does weight of engine,steering controls,wiring,seats,electronics,fuel,and beer in the cooler factor in on the 1150lbs?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

engine, outdrive, controls, and seats are usually not part of your capacity on an i/o rigged boat.
Anything added to the boat (coolers, fuel, anchor), is part of the 1150.

engine, battery, fuel, and coolers are part of the 1150 on an outboard powered boat.

I'm sure there have been exceptions in the past.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm no help on the capacity plate info, but I had a capacity plate made by Office Max/Office Depot for $10-15, brass plaque custom engraved with the boat's info. Couple coats of clear lacquer, couple of rivets and it was a done deal.

haulnazz15

Captain

engine, outdrive, controls, and seats are usually not part of your capacity on an i/o rigged boat.
Anything added to the boat (coolers, fuel, anchor), is part of the 1150.

engine, battery, fuel, and coolers are part of the 1150 on an outboard powered boat.

I'm sure there have been exceptions in the past.

I was under the impression that the engine WAS part of the that number on an I/O, but usually figured with the smallest available engine package for that model. I could be mistaken though.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Just get one like this made up then you don't have to worry about capacity. Odds are the local DNR drone won't know the difference anyway. j/k;)

yachtag2.gif

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

That boat was made by Mirrocraft, AKA Northport Inc. They are in Gillett, WI. Might contact them and get the real numbers. New ownership couple of months ago. Never heard before that they were Jerks.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Go to the USCG website and look for the link for boat builders/home built boats. Somewhere on there is a method for calculating the capacities of the boat. This is what the manufacturers use as well. This is the standard that would/will be used if you are ever boarded and checked. You can then have a plate made and it will be valid regardless of what your DNR say's. They are not the definining rule on this matter, the USCG is.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Arkansas boating laws reference a formula - length times width divided by 15. That's the number of people then multiply that times 150 for the weight capacity.

Rounding that's 9 people and 1300 lbs. or play it safe and list 8 people and 1300 lbs.

phileepo

Cadet

That boat was made by Mirrocraft, AKA Northport Inc. They are in Gillett, WI. Might contact them and get the real numbers. New ownership couple of months ago. Never heard before that they were Jerks.

How sure are you about that? I have been in contact with Sierra Boats in Ogdensburg, WI. I looked on the NADA site, and for Mirrocraft in 1984 it doesnt look like any fiberglass inboards were made.

I am in contact with Sierra again and it sounds like they are actually trying to get the information for me now, but we'll see. The title says Sierra is the manufacturer.

Last week I talked to a couple guys at the shop and they were like that boat is super old, and why waste our time asking about it. They supposedly looked for an original plate in their storage but the guy told me "nothing jumped out at me" I wasn't impressed with their customer service. Not to mention it usually takes 2 or 3 days to get a reply to an email question.

phileepo

Cadet

Go to the USCG website and look for the link for boat builders/home built boats. Somewhere on there is a method for calculating the capacities of the boat. This is what the manufacturers use as well. This is the standard that would/will be used if you are ever boarded and checked. You can then have a plate made and it will be valid regardless of what your DNR say's. They are not the definining rule on this matter, the USCG is.

I have been there but this information is like super complicated and you need the weight of the boat and you need to know how much water and weight you need to get the boat to sink. Sorry, not doing that method.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I was plant manager for Northport from about 1988 to 1998. They were already making Sierra but I don't remember for how long. They bought the name sierra and the molds from Louis Cerne in Ogdensburg. A few years after he sold he made a new line called Euroline, almost the same boat. Your boat may be old enough to have been made in Ogdensburg but Northport made the same/similiar models for several years and should have the info you need. Your color stripe looks like taupe and I don't think Louis used that color. Give them a call at 920-855-2168. If they are jerks I want to know as my son is one of the new owners. (send me a PM, I won't do dirty laundry on the forum if there is any) Maybe they can not help you but they should NOT be jerks. They will not send you a new plate even if they have one because there is to much liability with people putting plates on the wrong boat. But they should still try and help you.

phileepo

Cadet

I was plant manager for Northport from about 1988 to 1998. They were already making Sierra but I don't remember for how long. They bought the name sierra and the molds from Louis Cerne in Ogdensburg. A few years after he sold he made a new line called Euroline, almost the same boat. Your boat may be old enough to have been made in Ogdensburg but Northport made the same/similiar models for several years and should have the info you need. Your color stripe looks like taupe and I don't think Louis used that color. Give them a call at 920-855-2168. If they are jerks I want to know as my son is one of the new owners. (send me a PM, I won't do dirty laundry on the forum if there is any) Maybe they can not help you but they should NOT be jerks. They will not send you a new plate even if they have one because there is to much liability with people putting plates on the wrong boat. But they should still try and help you.

Wow, someone who actually knows what I am talking about and knows something about my boat, I can hardly believe it. I have been dealing with Tony Cerne mainly but someone from the shop picked up one day and he was the real knucklehead. Anyhow, Tony did get back to me today, 3 days after I emailed him two days in a row, I asked real nice and he said his older literature was at home and he would get back to me tomorrow. He seemed a bit confused that my boat had a 165 hp 250 6 in it. If Tony doesn't get back to me by noon tomorrow, I will call the number you gave me. Thanks for the information, I will be in touch.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I just got a boat a couple of weeks back. Working out the kinks and getting it ready for reliable operation however, it is missing it's capacity plate. I have been in contact with the manufacturer and they are a bunch of jerks and my DNR warden says I need a plate and that I can just make one myself. Fine! I am cool with that, however since my manufacturer is being more of a hassle than I want to deal with I would like some educated guesses on what info I should put on my plate for people capacity - gear, engine, people capacity ; I know horsepower already. I was just hoping someone had a similiar sized/shaped boat that could give me some information. My boat is a 84 Sierra from a small manufacturer in WI. It has a 165 HP inline 6 mercruiser 250. The Length is 17 foot 11 inches with a beam of 7 foot 4 inches. I have attached picture for reference.View attachment 154511 I am aware of the capacity calculation of L x W / 15 but that doesnt really give me the gear load weight and 8 people in my closed bow seems excessive but I know they rate them high. I would really like to compare someone else's actual numbers.

I have been working on my USCG SafeBoating program for my certification and the new regs say Length from bow tip to stern Times Width at widest point Devided by 18 . This change was brought on by boats listing passanger at 150 lbs . which is see very few of now days.. It is based on 220 lb persons now .