Freshwater holding tank issue?

Our freshwater system was working last week, and this morning when I turned the faucet worked, then trickled out and then sputtered as if the tank was empty. The tank sounds empty, but I can still see water in the fill tube as if it were a full tank. I ran a fishtape down the supply line and the water didn't move. I tested the pump with a bucket of water to make sure it wasn't the issue, and the pump sucked the bucket dry.

Is it possible that the intake could be clogged? It is a 1 1/2" tube. When I go back to the boat tomorrow, I am going to remove the supply line and blow some air into it to make sure its not clogged at the exit.

Thanks,
Kevin

deeman7777

Seaman
Re: Freshwater holding tank issue?

Real long shot, but dummy me just did this with the same symptoms - faucet goes dry but the tank is full. I FILLED the black water tank.....new boat for me and inadvertently filled water into the WASTE fitting not the fresh water fitting.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You should have an accumulator tank next to the pump to even out the pump activity. It provides water when the faucet is initially turned and eventually runs low of water and turns the pump on. So you could have a problem with the accumulator.

When you open the faucet, do you hear the pump run?

When you say you tested the pump with a bucket of water, did you take it out of the boat or let it run through the plumbing system?

When you unhooked the hose from the water tank, could you get water to run out of the tank?

Answers to these will give clues to isolating the problem.

Sea ya...

Deeman, thankfully I did get the tanks correct, especially since I had the tank output hose in my mouth.

Captain, I don't think my boat is equipped with an accumulator, by tracing the lines, it looks like it runs from the tank to a filter, to the pump and to a tee that pushes water to the faucet or to the hot water heater and eventually to the sink. I can hear the pump run, and I did test the pump with the pump in the boat using a bucket of water. The boat is a 23' Chaparral Signature.

No significant water (just minor drips) came out of the tank when I unhooked the output tube yesterday. Today I even tried to suck water out of it with my mouth and nothing came out, nor did I hear bubbling when I blew into the tubing. Today I also tried to get to the intake host from the hull, and didn't have the right size screwdriver to get to the o-ring. That is tomorrow's trip to the boat.

Thanks for both of your input.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does the connection to the pump come from the top of the tank or the bottom of the tank?

Is your tank completley full or just part way?

Is your tank fill directly over tank?(can you see the inside of tank when you remove the cover?)

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

No significant water (just minor drips) came out of the tank when I unhooked the output tube yesterday. Today I even tried to suck water out of it with my mouth and nothing came out, nor did I hear bubbling when I blew into the tubing. Today I also tried to get to the intake host from the hull, and didn't have the right size screwdriver to get to the o-ring. That is tomorrow's trip to the boat.

Thanks for both of your input.

Why couldn't the tank be empty?

You may have a bend in the fill tube which is holding water, or the vent tube may be blocked. But if there was no bubbling when you blew air into the supply line, no water coming out when the supply tube is removed, then it seems like the tank is empty.

If you filled it before use, and used very little water, you may have a leak that you haven't found allowing the water to drain out.

What O-ring?

Every fill I have seen appears to be a "gas" fill port except it's marked "water". (This is why so many mistakes occur where water is put into the fuel tank, or the other way around).

It should have a SS hose clamp on the back and the hose may be very difficult to remove. The tubing may be gray or clear and run straight to the tank, no upward bend, which would slow filling and give a false indication of being full.

The issue has to be between the hose going into the tank from the fill port. I mentioned o-ring above, I meant hose clamp. I just couldn't seem to get to it yesterday with the tools I had onboard. If the rain holds off in NJ/PA today, I'll get over there and try to get the hose off today. That seems to be where the issue is, at least at this point. I think the tank is empty but it can not take any more water b/c of the hose.

ckalupa

Seaman

May want to check if there is an inline screen filter between the pump and the tank. I know mine got gunked up and stopped letting water through and I had to clean out the filter screen and water tank to get all the junk out of it when I bought the boat. LOTS of water, shock chemicals, and flushing to clear it.

Problem solved. I spend seemingly countless hours as a contortionist this past week getting the hose off of the tank. The hose even defied the laws of gravity. When I cut the thing in 1/2 the water remained in the hose, and didn't run out. Very odd, considering once I got the hose off the boat there was no visible clog in the hose. Getting the hose on and off was a bear though, very limited room to operate, and the steel reinforcements in the line made the project longer than expected. The short of it ... new line, and fresh water in the tank. Mission accomplished. On to installing a fish finder. Thanks for your suggestions.