USA boat brought to Canade 25 years ago

boogaloo19

Recruit
I'm trying to find out a way to register my used boat in Canada. Bit of background: USA vacationer brings his boat to Canada about 25 years ago to his trailer camp. He leaves his boat in Canada every year. He passes away, his wife sells the boat to their neighbor in trailer park. No ownership/registration takes place. Neighbour uses boat for 5 years then sells boat to me. All I have is bill of sale from 2nd owner, no registration/ownership.

I want to register boat in my name. Transport Canada says boat is in Canada illegally and can be seized.

How do I get this boat registered without having it seized?? Help!!!

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: USA boat brought to Canade 25 years ago

HELL-O My guess is #1--run the #'s on the last sticker decal you should be able to get NAME ,ADDRESS, TITLE . That's what I did,GOOD LUCK.------:)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My guess is that Transport Canada has the answer, if there is one.

I'm guessing there is a way to do it, after the appropriate taxes are paid.

I do know that a US resident can not leave his property (boat) in Canada for longer than a few months, without titling and registering it in Canada.

We leave our Canada titled and insured camper in Canada, but bring our boats back home to the USA when we return.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty sure you will have to license and not register your boat.
If your boat doesn't have over a 10hp outboard,it doesn't have to have a license either.
So depending on what you have it may not even be an issue.
If it is an issue all you need to is:
(1) fill out application(you can find it here http://boating.ncf.ca/linksgov.html#tc )
(2) prove you own it.This may be an issue,for me it was just a receipt from the guy I bought it from maybe the person you deal with will be more picky?
and (3) signed goverment issued ID
It's free (or atleast it was) but after you do it,the tax man will come a looking(may be even in acouple years)
Not 100% on this but pretty sure.