broke off my bow light, any ideas for replacement?

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice
I have a bow light that sits directly in front of my anchor cleat. Today I unfortunately drifted into some weeds and was unable to get the boat started quickly. Someone happened to be right on top of me as it happened and asked if I wanted to get pulled out of the weeds to start up which I happily accepted. During the 20' tow the line pulled across my bow light and broke off the housing. I have been searching on Amazon and can't find any lights that match up with the screws going front to back instead of side to side. I'd like LED but since I don't do too much night boating I honestly don't really care if it's a directly replacement.

Size is approx. 3 1/4" x 2 1/4". Boat is a 2000 Monterey Edge 180. Very much appreciate any help you can provide. :)

Oh, I'm planning to get an anchor chock to pull the line to the side of the light so that I don't pull across the light again. Any other recommendations other than that? You can see the front of my cleat just behind the bow light in the pic below... kinda dumb placement of everything since the anchor line has no choice but to pull on the light housing.

No clue why the boat wouldn't fire up right away. Twice I've started the boat in quick conditions like this and failed to turn on my blower... both times the engine wouldn't turn over without multiple attempts. I can't think of why the (lack of) blower would cause a start problem and am assuming it's just irony but none-the-less need to figure out why it took so long to start. Approx. 100 starts so far this season and twice I've had trouble where it just took 10 or so turns of the key before it would fire up... every other time fires up without any fuss.

TIA!!!

f583ba5e.jpg

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
Re: broke off my bow light, any ideas for replacement?

No clue why the boat wouldn't fire up right away. Twice I've started the boat in quick conditions like this and failed to turn on my blower... both times the engine wouldn't turn over without multiple attempts. I can't think of why the (lack of) blower would cause a start problem and am assuming it's just irony but none-the-less need to figure out why it took so long to start. Approx. 100 starts so far this season and twice I've had trouble where it just took 10 or so turns of the key before it would fire up... every other time fires up without any fuss.

Maybe there's a lack of fresh air/oxygen in the engine bay... It would be my guess.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

No clue why the boat wouldn't fire up right away. Twice I've started the boat in quick conditions like this and failed to turn on my blower... both times the engine wouldn't turn over without multiple attempts. Approx. 100 starts so far this season and twice I've had trouble where it just took 10 or so turns of the key before it would fire up... every other time fires up without any fuss.

Please clarify- does it not 'turn over' (crank) or does it turn over but not 'fire up'? If you turn the key and get nothing, it could be as asimple as your neutral safety switch. Try jiggling the shift lever. If you turn the key and it cranks but doesn't start you have a different issue. Outboard? I/O? Make? Model?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

<deleted- double post>

JoLin

Vice Admiral

<UGH! iboats not cooperating this morning. Triple post (sorry!)>

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I have a bow light that sits directly in front of my anchor cleat. Today I unfortunately drifted into some weeds and was unable to get the boat started quickly. Someone happened to be right on top of me as it happened and asked if I wanted to get pulled out of the weeds to start up which I happily accepted. During the 20' tow the line pulled across my bow light and broke off the housing. I have been searching on Amazon and can't find any lights that match up with the screws going front to back instead of side to side. I'd like LED but since I don't do too much night boating I honestly don't really care if it's a directly replacement.

Size is approx. 3 1/4" x 2 1/4". Boat is a 2000 Monterey Edge 180. Very much appreciate any help you can provide. :)

Oh, I'm planning to get an anchor chock to pull the line to the side of the light so that I don't pull across the light again. Any other recommendations other than that? You can see the front of my cleat just behind the bow light in the pic below... kinda dumb placement of everything since the anchor line has no choice but to pull on the light housing.

TIA!!!

f583ba5e.jpg

This might be the perfect location and opportunity to install a "pop-up" bow light.

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

Please clarify- does it not 'turn over' (crank) or does it turn over but not 'fire up'? If you turn the key and get nothing, it could be as asimple as your neutral safety switch. Try jiggling the shift lever. If you turn the key and it cranks but doesn't start you have a different issue. Outboard? I/O? Make? Model?

4.3 Mercruiser Alpha I I/O

It cranks for a moment and then stops. The engine turns but not enough to fire up. I turn the key to the off position, then back to turn on and it does the same thing. I do this about 10 times and both times I've had trouble it eventually fired up. Neutral safety switch and neutral shift position were both in the right place. I simply stayed with it and it fired. Only diff on these two times is that I failed to turn on the blower by mistake because I was in a hurry.