Tried Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner On Hull -- DID NOT WORK

SDSeville

Lieutenant
OK. I had some bad rust and exhaust stains on the hull, so I tried the miracle cleaner - Lysol toilet bowl cleaner (blue. no bleach). Applied with a sponge, let it sit 10 minutes, hosed off -- maybe removed 20% of the crud. Applied it again and scrubbed with the other side (abrasive) of the sponge -- nothing. Mixed 50/50 with peroxide, sponged on, scrubbed -- still nothing.

I will say that id did remove a rust stain I had not been able to remove. However, there are still a lot of black exhaust stains that were not touched. What did I do wrong?

By the way -- I have been a Vaseline guy for the past couple years and this stuff did remove every last bit of Vaseline I ever applied. It is now the same horrible pink (rather than red) chalky color it was before I started my biannual Vaseline treatments. So for those of you who were worried about the irreversible effects of Vaseline, worry no more.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Tried Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner On Hull -- DID NOT WORK

Use sno-bowl, ventilate well, use gloves and glasses, rinse with copious quantity of water. Lysol is only good for covering the smell of pee splashed all over ... :facepalm:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Why not use the product that was designed for cleaning hulls? StarBrite Hull Cleaner. People keep trying solutions intended for other uses and get upset when it doesn't work. It probably works great for cleaning toilets. Get the stuff that cleans hulls, then buff and wax your red back to the proper color.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mr Clean Magic Eraser works well for tough stains. Not sure why it works, but it just does. Just use water and the eraser and voila!

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mr Clean Magic Eraser works well for tough stains. Not sure why it works, but it just does. Just use water and the eraser and voila!
I agree 100% I guess that's why they call it magic !!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I agree 100% I guess that's why they call it magic !!

Work well for black scuffs on the nonslip decking?

It works well because it is a microfine (3000+ grit) polishing compound. Thats why the block/sponge wears away so quickly. Works great on all scuff marks, but it also immediately takes off any wax and shine. It will dull shiny gelcoat in seconds. Softscrub (with bleach) and a bristle brush works well on non-skid butthe Mr. Clean works well also. Don't use the Mr. Clean on vinyl seats (as others continually tell people to do). It removes the vinyl's protective coating and you will...very soon...have black staining and degradation/hardening of the material.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to know - I will stick with what i have been using. water/towel, and then 303

I will probably pickup some starbrite deck cleaner at some point.... maybe for next large scale boat cleaning (like after a long trip)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Why not use the product that was designed for cleaning hulls? StarBrite Hull Cleaner. People keep trying solutions intended for other uses and get upset when it doesn't work. It probably works great for cleaning toilets. Get the stuff that cleans hulls, then buff and wax your red back to the proper color.
I could never figure that out. You can dilute the starbrite down and make a couple of gallons of it for less than $10. I use maybe a quart to take the tanic acid stains off the hull each Spring.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Makes sense. However, I searched this topic thoroughly and an overwhelming majority the "experienced boaters" recommended some kind of concoction not purpose made for cleaning hulls.

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

uhhh - what's the vaseline for?

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Uh Oh -- It is the unholy way to get your faded chalky gel a deep shiny finish. Do a search on this forum. There are plenty of threads that argue about it to no end.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Makes sense. However, I searched this topic thoroughly and an overwhelming majority the "experienced boaters" recommended some kind of concoction not purpose made for cleaning hulls.

Just because a lot of people do it doesn't mean it's a great idea. I'm sure it works on some staining, but Hull Cleaner was designed to clean off salt residue, tannic water staining, rust stains, etc and seems to do the job. Get some and try for yourself and you be the judge.

It's a band-aid fix for dulled color on boat hulls (red, maroon, blue, etc). Makes it shiny again. Sort of like Poly-Glo.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Starbright Hull Cleaner. Works wonders, you can buy it at Walmart.

fadridrocky

Recruit

OK. I had some bad rust and exhaust stains on the hull, so I tried the miracle oven cleaning - Lysol toilet bowl cleaner (blue. no bleach). Applied with a sponge, let it sit 10 minutes, hosed off -- maybe removed 20% of the crud. Applied it again and scrubbed with the other side (abrasive) of the sponge -- nothing. Mixed 50/50 with peroxide, sponged on, scrubbed -- still nothing.

I will say that id did remove a rust stain I had not been able to remove. However, there are still a lot of black exhaust stains that were not touched. What did I do wrong?

By the way -- I have been a Vaseline guy for the past couple years and this stuff did remove every last bit of Vaseline I ever applied. It is now the same horrible pink (rather than red) chalky color it was before I started my biannual Vaseline treatments. So for those of you who were worried about the irreversible effects of Vaseline, worry no more.

You were still able to gain nice results. My magic cleaner was not able to deliver anything. After that I used professional toilet cleaning services, bit expensive but deliver good results.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

other toilet cleaners work, b/c they have oxalic or other acids in them. Maybe Lysol doesn't. But for cleaning or other products, the ingredients are what matters, not whether its sold at the dollar store or the boat store. Some products are indeed specially made for solving marine problems. Some are merely non-marine products with the price jacked up. Just like the difference between brand-name goods and store brand goods--sometimes it matters; sometimes not. The trick is to figure out when it matters.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

If your still interested in a home brew, pick up some super iron out. Worked great on the brown stains my Cruisers Inc had. Any product that does work will need to be followed up with at the minimum wax, or possibly even polish and wax (or Vaseline if that's your go to for shine).

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used On and Off cleaner and it was amazing. Gloves and mask a must...but sprayed on with a garden sprayer...wait about 10 minutes (or less) and hose off...if it is a full season of gunk, a little scrubbing with a plastic scouring sponge did the trick!

Brewman61

Ensign

Muriatic acid. Why? I tried boat hull cleaners, several brands, didn't work. Muriatic is very cheap and works.
That's why, for me anyway.