Where is a good place to buy poly sheeting 1/4"?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Instead of putting a piece of plywood on the outside of the transom of my aluminum 14 footer, I would like to use some poly sheeting, but I will be darned if I can find a good place to buy a small piece of it! Anyone have a good supplier of this material?

Thanks in advance.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Where is a good place to buy poly sheeting 1/4"?

Instead of putting a piece of plywood on the outside of the transom of my aluminum 14 footer, I would like to use some poly sheeting, but I will be darned if I can find a good place to buy a small piece of it! Anyone have a good supplier of this material?

Thanks in advance.

How big of peice of poly are you requiring for the back of your boat ?
I have seen them in many of the stores that had kitchen supplies but they were like 10 x 18 inch,, and about 3/8's inch thick .
Oh ,, and not cheap,, to my way of thinkin .

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Home depot has it or get a cutting board at wally world.

Now just FYI............... I did that on my 14' starcraft and it presents a few problems.

It is too hard and way too slippery for the motor to bite onto. On a sharp turn the motor will slide and shift. I initially cured that problem by installing some longer bolts that matched the motor mount. Overall I was not happy with the results and ended up replacing it with a piece of plywood that I marine varnished the heck out of.

Your choice..... give it a try if you like.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys, I didn't even think about the cutting boards! Bob, that is great information, perhaps it would be better to just stick to the plywood, the motor is not high powered, just a little 9.9 merc tiller steer, so not going to be going to fast.

Thanks again.

Dp

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It is too hard and way too slippery for the motor to bite onto. On a sharp turn the motor will slide and shift. I initially cured that problem by installing some longer bolts that matched the motor mount. Overall I was not happy with the results and ended up replacing it with a piece of plywood that I marine varnished the heck out of.

Your choice..... give it a try if you like.

I can see this happening and being a real PITA if the motor isn't securely bolted to the transom.

There just aren't many good substitutes for good ol' plywood.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Mine was a 9.5 Evinrude and it surprised me. I had even used a dremel to cut grooves to match the motor mount.........

Yep, it is a small mount and wally world and sometimes even dollar stores have those cutting boards. I actually keep one on the boat for cutting bait and cleaning fish. ;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Cutting boards are typically Nylon 6. If you want a structural "plastic?, go with Delrin or G10 fiberglass