Sidewinder boat, tower of power engine, can I get some input?

woppini

Cadet
So a lifelong friend of mine needs some storage space and has offered this boat to me for free. Went over the other day and took a good look at it, and its pretty clean. Last use was 12 or so years ago, and has been in enclosed storage since then. The engine turns over and will begin to pop when carbs are fogged. From what I gather, these engines were pretty hot for their time. Can I even get parts for this engine to get it up and running reliably? If you look at the pics, the engine is pretty darn clean. I dont want a project engine, so part of me wants to pass. But free is free. Everything is stock on the engine from what I can tell.

PS, This boat has mechanical distributor advance.. literally the entire timing curve is done with linkage. :eek:
Thanks everyone.
Stephen

Attachments

• CIMG9912.jpg
    CIMG9912.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG9911.jpg
    CIMG9911.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG9910.jpg
    CIMG9910.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG9909.jpg
    CIMG9909.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG9913.jpg
    CIMG9913.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Sidewinder boat, tower of power engine, can I get some input?

Those are pretty cool to the right person, (me).
They are capable of lots of speed, but need smoother water to really get up there. The Merc 115's have their issues. But if you do the research you should be able to work out your costs before you make a financial commitment. Seems to me there was an issue with copper cooling tubes and corrosion when those motors were used in saltwater. I would think there are parts, at one time that motor was the big daddy of outboards.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Lots of info on here for that engine. You can still get almost everything you would ever want for parts. Mine runs really good with minimal care. After sitting for 12 years you will most likely need to do a few things related to fuel. Carb kits, fuel pump kit, new fuel hoses, water pump, plugs. At the very least do a compression check, if that comes out OK you at least know that you have something to work with. If it fires like you said it may be just some maintanance and not be a complete project engine.

bgc

Ensign

Plenty of parts available for that motor.
Take Georges advice and do some work before you run her. Be careful around the wires, the insulation likes to break.
and yes they have a mechanical advance. Some stuff Mercury kept simple some stuff they made so complex you'll want to resort to an oar verses trying to figure it out.....

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those old Sidewindrs with the Merc's were very fast and fun. Probably will hit 60 mph and have you smiling from ear to ear!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor looks to be a 1975 or so, as does the boat. That power will push her pretty good. The motor does not have power trim, but I see some other shiny metal near the transom clamp. Is that an aftermarker PTT?

Even w/o PTT you should be able to set her up to run in the fifties... Check out the engine wiring harness. They usually need replacing, but are avail on the web. That motor has duel fuel pumps. The pump kits are avail, but the fuel lines with the brass nipple ends are not, so you will need to rig up your own, if that are bad. The cover on the carbs should have a banjo fuel filter, which should be replaced. Replace the carb floats and inlet needles and seats as well as all gaskets, after you have cleaned up the carbs.

maagee79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live in Indiana and will drive out there to get if you don't want it. There is nothing like having an old tower running out on the water. Especially when you fly by someone that just spent 20k on a boat. The look on there faces are priceless. Imo take the boat. I have 2 150 towers they are great motors. Very simple to work on an as long as you have a good water pump and mix the oil right at 50:1 ratio you shouldn't have many problems after doing the aforementioned maintance.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I sometimes go to utube and see a couple of "tower of power" clips just for the stimulation.......The early ones with the magnetos really run fast

woppini

Cadet

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I was on vaca for a week and just got back. I tried posting on sidewinder dot com, but for some reason new registration is closed. I'll take a look at all the items that were mentioned.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I tried posting on sidewinder dot com, but for some reason new registration is closed.
did you use the same name as here???
I'll pm the mod and let him know you're not there to spam...

woppini

Cadet

did you use the same name as here???
I'll pm the mod and let him know you're not there to spam...
Well I clicked on the register link and all it told me was registration is disabled. There was no new page to become a new member

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I think you have to wait till they get back with you. (if I remember correctly)

Nice boat.

rckyview

Cadet

I had a '79 Tower on a 17' Invader....wound up selling it as we simply outgrew it. I happened to see it for sale again a few years later, it was all I could do to keep from buyin' her back. It was a darn good motor.