Registering/titling a gift waverunner w/ no title in Illinois

Dauds

Recruit
Ok, I am a first timer here so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. My aunt recently gave me a 1995 waverunner that her adult step son had left in her yard for about 7 years... They not longer have contact with him due to numerous legal issues and she wanted it off her property so offered it to me. She couldn't locate the title and everything I have read so far about IL is that this is that no title = major issue. I had a friend of a friend from the ILDNR run the registration and the title is clean and registered to a guy that neither I, nor my aunt know. Can I apply for a lost title or does that have to be done by the person whos name it is in? Since I live so close to the WI/IL and have friends with property in the state, I was considering registering it in WI since watercrafts under 16' don't need to be titled. Would this work? Anyways, I just wanted to get some thoughts and ideas from everyone.

Cheers,

Dauds

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Registering/titling a gift waverunner w/ no title in Illinois

You may be able to find that person it is registered to and work out something for paperwork, but then again they might say "hey thanks for finding my stolen jet ski, you can bring it over later and I won't call the sheriff".

I think you need to work with the IL state offices to see what shape you are in on this one.

shrew

Lieutenant

.....................Since I live so close to the WI/IL and have friends with property in the state, I was considering registering it in WI since watercrafts under 16' don't need to be titled. Would this work?

The problem here is, it wasn't your Aunt's property to give away. If the TITLE is still in someone else's name other that your Aunt's Step-son, then it wasn't his property either. The legal owner is the person whose name the title is in. What you are asking is if the method you proposed to illegally obtain ownership of someone's property will work. LMFAO!!!!

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Only the owner can apply for a lost title. You can call the Secretary of State Police,and they can tell you how to legally own the thing,but I doubt it's worth the trouble,after laying outside for so long.