How can I take off Bottom Paint on fiberglass

I bought an 89 Bayliner that was moored in Saltwater. The bottom paint turned green and was brushed on. I thought about sanding it smooth and then spray paint it. It has been on there a long time and has a lot of coats. It is not easy to remove (I have tried in several spots). Mostly I just want it to look look good like the top half of the boat.

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How can I take off Bottom Paint on fiberglass

I just finished refurbishing a boat and had to go through the same pain staking experience as you. I didn't find a quick fix solution myself. Came down to go old elbow grease. I guess there were atleast 4 coats of paint on mine.<br /><br />I put the boat up on stands (too much trailer in the way) and used a paint scraper. For the most part it worked very well. Get yourself comfortable, start in one spot and scrape along.<br /><br />Of course there are marine paint removers but I can't tell you how good they are or not.<br /><br />Only my 2 cents worth.<br />Good Luck

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Fairweatherboater,<br /><br />I am with Dymo, did as much as I could with scrapper, then switched to 60grit to get major stuff, kept increasing grit size as I got closer to the Gell coat. Tried a grinder in a couple of spots (oops!) gotta watch out for digs. Stuck with the elbow grease.<br /><br />Found orbital or palm sander took longer than by hand. Also wrapped a stiff spong (dry 4x6) which worked better than a block for matching the hull contour.<br /><br />At least you don't have to worry about working out at the gym after your done for the day :) <br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Safe boating to all.<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />emp.

Thanks for the replies. I need all the help I can get. I didn't mention that the boat is an 18 footer. I'll let you know how it went, although that may be awhile because I have to fix the engine first. Mostly I just want to get that stuff off on the sides and back of the boat because it was painted clear up over the water line. In some places it has actually worn off. I think scraping it off will be the best, since it is actually made to come off so that the barnacles won't be able to stick to the hull. I appreciate this web-site, this is great. I loved boating ever since my Dad first bought his first boat when I was 4 years old. :p

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just as a note for reference, the professional yards remove the bottom paint from large fiberglass hulls with soda now. Evidently they load a sand blaster with it and blast away. They used to blast with sand before they found out that if they damaged the gel coat water would saturate the hull and soak the core. YOu can try using multiple coats of barrier paint but once the gel coat is gone, you basically have a sponge.<br /><br />I think on a smaller boat, I would use paint stripper. There are strippers available to do that job and not damage the fiberglass.<br />Good luck,

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Capt. Bob,<br /><br />Soda? Not trying to be funny, do you mean like "Coke" or "Pepsi" or bicarbinate of Soda or Baking soda?<br /><br />Could you clarify please? I still have bottom paint to go.<br /><br />Safe boating to all.<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />emp.

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I should have said baking soda for clarification other wise the westerners would think I meant soda pop! :D

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Capt. Bob,<br /><br />Thanks, I had this image of filling the sandblaster with a 12pack of coke and creating a foam plume that could be seen from space :) <br /><br />Safe boating to all.<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />emp.

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad you didn't try it....it would have removed the gel coat for sure. :D :D