New boat owner, need crash course

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I bought my first boat this past weekend. She is a 1995 Cobalt 220 with a Volvo Penta motor and dual props. She is a very sexy boat and I am very excited about my purchase. She has been, at least aesthetically, very well cared for and I'm looking forward to enjoying her this summer. I do realize that boat ownership is not the same as car ownership, but the way I see it, it can't be as bad as aircraft ownership (I own and fly a 1961 Piper PA22 Colt).

I purchased her without a trailer, so I had to put her in the water immediately and ferry her down to my marina (covered, but no lift). I will, of course, work on finding a used trailer (any tips here?), but until then I've been checking on her daily to make sure she isn't taking on water. So far, she seems to be staying dry.

What I need is the crash course on boat prep. She hasn't had any attention at all since last summer. What do I need to check / do before putting her through the paces? Oil, coolant, bellows, what else? I did notice (as was disclosed by the seller) some prop damage and I will probably need to replace those this winter, but they are good enough for now. I also heard some sort of beeping alarm on the ferry ride back. Don't know what it was, but it stopped when I throttled back a bit.

So, give me a run down of the basics so I know where to start. I know almost nothing about boat ownership so don't be afraid to state the obvious and provide basic details (don't assume I know anything). I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I take her out "for real".

Thanks!
Bob

cobalt-220.jpg

Attachments

• cobalt-220.jpg
    cobalt-220.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New boat owner, need crash course

Welcome aboard

Yes all fluids and the hundreds of little things :)

First I would read these http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=468654 pay attention to this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

I am going to throw our moderator Don under the bus :eek: Don is really a Volvo expert ;)

Since the boat is floating right now be sure the bilge pump works and hopefully it has an auto switch....... if not I would get a float switch or a new pump to prevent sinking while docked.

Check out the repair forums. Being a pilot I know you have the skills to do all the work.

A manual for that motor is your BEST friend and Don can point you towards one.

Good luck.

Oh yeah....there are free online boating courses which are well worth it!! I recommend doing one

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice work man! From the one pic she looks like a beauty.

southkogs

Staff member

What Bob said ... then what Levinz said :D It is a purty boat!

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

You will find that a set of those props will set you back some major money. However, unless they are really bad, they can be repaired for a lot less.

Picked her up for $5k even. Not sure how I will feel about that in a year, but right now I think I made out like a bandit!
Yes, there may be a warrant out for your arrest already!

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice find for 5k!!!! 5.7 or 7.4 I would guess? How many hours? Seriously $5000? Wow!

I found a really good way to learn about your boat is to clean it with a fine tooth comb. Pay very close attention to EVERYTHING and learn all you can while you are doing it.

Check out friscojarretts on YouTube. He has a very similar rig and has got a TON of info on it!

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You will find that a set of those props will set you back some major money. However, unless they are really bad, they can be repaired for a lot less.

One of them looks like it could be repaired. The other, not so much. I guess we'll see. I was thinking of buying the props and putting them on myself if it's not to difficult, but don't know what's involved in doing that yet.

Nice find for 5k!!!! 5.7 or 7.4 I would guess? How many hours? Seriously $5000? Wow!

Well, the motor itself is marked as a Volvo Penta 5.8, which is confusing me a little because my paperwork says "235 horsepower". So, I'm not entirely sure it's the original motor. Seller said the boat had 625 hours on it, but how much of that is this motor if it's been replaced? I dunno Do boats have engine timers like aircraft do? Where would I find it?

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seriously $5000? Wow!

Yep, $5k. I encountered a motivated seller. He is moving out of state in about a month for work and didn't want to mess with the boat anymore. He had bought it from his boss in some sort of owner finance deal and apparently got in over his head. He was so happy to not be making payments on it or the slip anymore. And yes, I did meet this boss and got his signature on all the paperwork as it was still in his name (verified driver's license, etc).

UncleWillie

Captain

... I also heard some sort of beeping alarm on the ferry ride back. Don't know what it was, but it stopped when I throttled back a bit.

The alarm is usually for Low Oil Pressure or High Block Temperature.
Oil Pressure and Block temperature tend to go UP at higher power.
Higher Oil Pressure is a good thing, Higher Block Temperature, not so much.

Did you look at the Engine Temp gage when the alarm sounded?
Do not ignore engine alarms!
When the alarm sounds, you are minutes from disaster!

tpenfield

Staff member

Picked her up for $5k even. Not sure how I will feel about that in a year, but right now I think I made out like a bandit!

:D

$5k . . . wow . . . Was there another one like that where you bought it? :D

etracer68

Ensign

Nice boat. I think if you run a prop thats needs more then a repair, you will be doing damage to your lower unit. Get them props off and to the prop shop, before you regret it. Also the alarm needs to be resolved. Welcome to the "Bust Out Another Thousand" club. Just my .002. Nice boat thou.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

One of them looks like it could be repaired. The other, not so much. I guess we'll see. I was thinking of buying the props and putting them on myself if it's not to difficult, but don't know what's involved in doing that yet.

I had a V-P duo-prop on my 24' Chris*Craft. Loved the drive and the performance. If your props are stainless, though, a new pair will set you back a grand or more. I managed to bend both of my 'F5' props (long story). If I recall correctly, the refurb cost about $400. for the pair. If you decide to buy new, I'd suggest you have your current pair refurbished anyway, then keep or sell them off. You can more than make up the refurb cost by selling them.

There's no aftermarket manufacturer- you'll need to buy Volvo's own. You might find a set on ebay, but they get snapped up quick. iboats sells new and their prices are as good as anybody's.

My .02.

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The alarm is usually for Low Oil Pressure or High Block Temperature.

Did you look at the Engine Temp gauge when the alarm sounded?

These were my first two thoughts. Being a pilot, I scan my gauges and was doing so when it sounded. Oil pressure was just above half way up the gauge. Temperature was only showing about quarter scale. That would indicate they were fine, but that assumes I can trust my gauges.

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking on iBoats for duoprop replacements, how do I know which type of outdrive I have (which duoprop "type")? Looks like there are a half dozen types and they range from fairly affordable to insanely expensive. The motor is a VP 5.8fl, can I tell which outdrive it should be from that alone?

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, the motor itself is marked as a Volvo Penta 5.8, which is confusing me a little because my paperwork says "235 horsepower". So, I'm not entirely sure it's the original motor. Seller said the boat had 625 hours on it, but how much of that is this motor if it's been replaced? I dunno Do boats have engine timers like aircraft do? Where would I find it?

Nothing wrong with the engine. The 5.8L is a Ford 351w, which should be around the 230-240HP range. 625hours isn't a lot of hours, relatively speaking.

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nothing wrong with the engine. The 5.8L is a Ford 351w, which should be around the 230-240HP range. 625hours isn't a lot of hours, relatively speaking.

Good to know, thanks! I think I answered my prop question too. Found a good VP duoprop guide posted in the prop subforum and it showed that I want the "B" type for aluminum props on a 5.8fl. I picked a mid-range "B5" which should be capable of up to about 40mph. More than enough for my purposes. Also ordered the wrench and prop pulling tool...

Maclin

Admiral

The aluminum VP DuoProps are available from non-VP source now. On eBay a new B series set lists for $489 on up. I only posted that as a price reference, not a recommendation.

Regarding getting them repaired, do not underestimate what a good prop shop can do!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Maclin "Regarding getting them repaired, do not underestimate what a good prop shop can do!"

x2^^^^
A good rework can do wonders.
Great buy on the boat!!!!