mariner 9.9 lower unit

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Well I got a bit of good news today, about 5 weeks ago I spent a real hard 3 days going through my lower unit to fix several issues left over from the PO lack of maintenance and general stupidity that included a silicone installed water pump tube and a shift shaft adjustment that was causing it to jump in and out of gear while running and a missing part.

Since then I have put around 48 hours on it and its worked perfectly.

Pulled it off of the slip and brought it home today for routine maintenance and a cleaning and to check on how the LU is doing. After draining the oil I was pleased to find no metal shavings or chunks on the magnetic plug and no water. I was hoping that is what I would find knowing it had been running with out the gears being fully meshed and was concerned.

The guy at the local dealership had recommended a synthetic Mercury LU oil and I am giving it a try and so far its fine. I was told it wont mix with water and even if you get water in the LU you will still get some protection.

:D:D:D and I still say we need a snoopy dance smiley

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: mariner 9.9 lower unit

What was the "A Team" saying? Don't you just love when a plan comes together!! :D