New drum for cable/pulley steering system...where can i get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmeny

Seaman
Have an older '72 model 14' starcraft that currently has cable/pulley steering. Not looking to upgrade to teleflex or the like due to cost, but need a new drum to wrap the cables on. Anyone know where I can buy one? Would be much appreciated, thanks.

Joe

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New drum for cable/pulley steering system...where can i get one?

What is wrong with the old drum?

Usually about 5 minutes of work with a fine wire brush will clean them up. If you have broken winding slots then I would suggest ebay. A single u-flex steering system is reall the way to go and it will not cripple your wallet

jmeny

Seaman

A friend of mine sat on the steering wheel and snapped it off (only the plastic part). This left the metal ring that normally fits inside the center of the steering wheel attached to the shaft of the drum. I've tried every possible suggestion and can't get the thing off if it meant the end of me.

In the process of trying to get it off, the pin that holds the drum in place (prevents it from going in and out of the dash) broke off. So now the drum is loose in the dash and I can't put a new steering wheel on because of the metal piece that won't come off the shaft. I don't know if any of this made sense but I'm officially stumped aside from replacing the whole drum.

Thanks,
Joe

jmeny

Seaman

Going to close this thread down and open one about the Uflex systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.