mold/mildew on canvas

BuckyBadger

Seaman Apprentice
I've been fighting some stains on my canvas for the last couple years and have tried just about everything. Vinegar, baking soda, simple green, dishwasher soap, running it through the industrial washing machines at the laundry mat and nothing would touch it. I've searched the iboats forums looking for ideas (where most of the previously mentioned ideas came from) and saw the bathroom mildew remover idea and was hesitant to try because I could only find it with bleach. There have been several threads where people have advised against the bleach.

Well I was to the point where I was going to replace it so if the bleach kills it I'm really no worse off. Other than the staining the bimimi is in perfect shape so it kind of chapped my backside to have to replace it. I ended up using the Wally World brand bathroom mold and mildew cleaner and here are the results. After seeing how it was working I stopped and took a couple pictures half way through. It isn't perfect, there are a couple spots yet. So unless the bleach totally eats it I think I might get a few more years out of it.

DSCF4148.jpgDSCF4147.jpg

What I don't get is this is the underside of the bimini. The top side is absolutely spotless. When we first noticed the staining I figured it was from moisture getting under the boot. If that was the case I would assume it would stain the entire bimini not just the underside. I understand the sun help prevents mold and mildew but we don't really use the bimini that much

Last edited: