livewell pump water problems

ksgoosekillr

Cadet
OK guys ill try to explain this one the best i can:

i have a transom mounted livewell pump, that is screw directly into a thru hull fitting (well actually it is a bulkhead fitting used as a thru-hull). It is a attwood tsunami 750/800 one of those cant remember. Anyway i know it is getting electricity, and the pump is spinning. It worked the first time out and now nothing. I can hear it spinning but no water. I have researched this one a lot and come down to a few issues:

A. wired backwards impeller spinning backwards (it already pumped water once cant be this)
B. the line is air locked and can not prime
C. The impeller is not attached to the shaft and is free spinning could have hap recently
D. there is no form of water intake to feed this hole under any speed

before anyone asked there is no petcock valve here and there needs to be one but aside from this any advice and what could be happening? The impeller of the pump is within fingers reach of the water (can feel it thru the hull outside of boat) i cant understand how it is getting locked that close. The line from pump to livewell is brand new i just replaced it last week. So there is not a blocked line. I have seen some boat have a water pickup tube that goes from this application to the bottom of the hull. So aside from adding a new system (thrull hull with highspeed pickup) what are my options?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: livewell pump water problems

Prime the pump to see if that's your problem first. If no joy, then disassemble pump and see if the shaft is spinning inside the impeller itself.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

On many transom mounted pumps they only work when you are sitting still; at any speed the pick-up is out of the water, or in an eddy behind the transom. Does it work sitting still?

I had a bilge pump once that the shaft broke, so it sounded like it was working but it wasn't. Check that, too.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

back the boat up and then turn it on.

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

back the boat up and then turn it on.

Yes do that! I put a new Atwood in and what a piece of junk. I have to kick it in reverse to make it work. I'm gonna try another of a different brand.