Bow Light Cut Off Date

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I Just Bought a new bow light, the package reads something like "not to be installed on boat built after this date" I forgot the date it had and I don't have the box with me now.But why is there a cut off date, of age of boat, concerning a bow light?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow Light Cut Off Date

is it a special bow light?....12v?

other than that......a bow light is a bow light

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, as long as it is 12 volts I can't imaigne why you couldn't use it, that is odd, I have new LED bow lifghts on my 30 year old boat and they work really really well.

If you find the box and an explanation I would love to hear why that is.

Philster

Captain

Maybe newer lights must be certified to certain brightness, but that light manufacturer did not get that product certified as of the date of production.

I would guess the new regulation doesn't mean they need to be brighter at all; I am guessing the regulation now requires them to be certified somehow. When/If they get their product certified, they'll just drop the disclaimer.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Have the regs for angle of view for lights changed in the last few years? I'm betting it's something along those lines, or brightness as was suggested above.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I bought a new led bow light last fall, had a similar disclaimer. My problem is that the light is lost in my garage somewhere, and I had to order another one.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a new led bow light last fall, had a similar disclaimer. My problem is that the light is lost in my garage somewhere, and I had to order another one.

Its in the last place you put it, and when the new one comes in you`ll trip over it to get the tools to install it.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

How big is your garage?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Why not just turn it on with the switch!! :p

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Why not just turn it on with the switch!! :p

Tried that, but all it did was open the garage door and make my cell phone ring.

Maybe it I start the portable generator and connect a large Tesla coil, I can get enough wireless current transmission to make it light.

I do know that it is wrapped in the original white foam packing, to protect the finish, or maybe that is to protect my foot when I trip over it.

Garage is 1000 sq ft, but everything has been moved 6 times in the last 8 months.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

doesn't make sense. are you sure you read it correctly? Perhaps a size restriction?

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

I was in walmart yesterday and saw the bow light hanging there for for sale. It reads on the box - Nov 1, 2003 is the cut off date, if the boat is newer than that, the light should not be used, it is an Attwood bow light (I already have mine wired up and mounted- please don't ask me what year my boat is)

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Doubtful it has anything to do with ABYC standards, I can mount any light as long as it meets USCG requirements for color, location, and visibility. I'm guessing the brightness requirement changed from one mile to two, and a light with a cutoff date only meets one mile.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

1 mile lights are still legal as far as I can find.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Tried that, but all it did was open the garage door and make my cell phone ring.

Maybe it I start the portable generator and connect a large Tesla coil, I can get enough wireless current transmission to make it light.

I do know that it is wrapped in the original white foam packing, to protect the finish, or maybe that is to protect my foot when I trip over it.

roscoe......yer crackin me up.....:D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can check out rules on navigational light here including brightness rules. 2nm is what you need basically under 40 feet on boat length.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent

I think you mis-read that.
Under 12m only required to have 1 mile sidelights/bow lights.

(c) In vessels of less than 12 meters in length:

(i) a masthead light, 2 miles;
(ii) a sidelight, 1 miles;
(iii) a towing light, 2 miles;
(iv) a white red, green or yellow all-round light, 2 miles.

###################################################################################

Now as to the question posed by the OP, installing light on a boat made after a certain date;
There is indeed a law that pertains to boats made after Nov 1, 2002. Lights installed on these boats need to be certified.
Also, it appears to only apply to manufacturers, dealers, and importers.

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title33/33-2.0.1.8.44.html#33:2.0.1.8.44.13.227.3

Shown below are key points from the link.

? 183.801 Applicability.
This subpart applies to recreational vessel manufacturers, distributors, and dealers installing such equipment in new recreational vessels constructed after November 1, 2002.

? 183.810 Navigation light certification requirements.
(a) Except as provided by paragraph (b) of this section, each navigation light must—
(1) Meet the technical standards of the applicable Navigation Rules;
(2) Be certified by a laboratory listed by the Coast Guard to the standards of ABYC A–16 (incorporated by reference, see ?183.5) or equivalent, although portable battery-powered lights need only meet the requirements of the standard applicable to them; and
(3) Bear a permanent and indelible label that is visible without removing or disassembling the light and that states the following:
(i) “USCG Approval 33 CFR 183.810.”
(vi) Visibility of the light in nautical miles.
(b) If a light is too small to attach the required label—
(1) Place the information from the label in or on the package that contains the light;
and
(2) Mark each light “USCG” followed by the certified range of visibility in nautical miles (nm), for example, “USCG 2nm”. Once installed, this mark must be visible without removing the light.

There, now we know.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

And now you know why I don't get any sleep at night.

chriscraft254

Commander

Yup, misread it, or maybe just wanted to see what I wanted to see,lol :) I don't know why they would require a 2 mile all around and only a mile bow light. Personally I will stick with the 2 mile ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, it really makes no sense.

Well, I finally received the new bow light, so I figure I will find the other one in a day or two.